1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom in denial?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by jlathan15, Oct 19, 2013.

1. jlathan15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I kinda came out to my mom a couple of days ago and she wasnt very happy about it, but lately she keeps talking to me about GIRLFRIENDS!!! I dont know whats gotten in to her but she just wont stop. She says stuff like "You and your wife" or "you and your girlfriend". She just doesnt seem to accept that im going to have a boyfriend and i will spend my life with a MAN not a WOMEN? Do you thinks she is trying to deny it?:bang:

2. biggayguy

She needs some time to get used to the idea. She needs to see that this isn't just some phase you are in right now. She needs time to process that you will not have a traditional wedding. You have to be consistent and just allow her to process this for a while. Gently remind her that you're looking for a boyfriend and not a girlfriend.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, denial is the first stage of grief/loss (i.e. your mom's loss of her idea of you being straight). She probably thinks all you needs is a woman to make you straight again. Just keep telling her you are the same son she has always known, but now she knows you better.

4. sysreq

Hehey, I KNEW there were others in my situation.
    'Cept my mom is meaner.

She's denying it, and frankly, there's not much to do about it except ignore the comments, or even correct her: "You mean my BOYFRIEND. Gahd." Or "You're pronouncing 'HUSBAND' WRONG. Jeez."

Just wait until you get in a relationship with a guy. Then you can annoy her back with comments about how much you love him and where does your mom think you should go on your next date? "The dump." Yeah, thanks.

Seriously, I know how it feels. When my mom says something that-related, I either correct her, remind her I'm gay or simply ignore the comment.