1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My brother thinks I'm being overdramatic

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Williamtheloner, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Williamtheloner

So today I kind of gave my 18 yr old str8 brother a hint over Skype that I might be gay, he got irritated and but managed to brush it off. He knows that I have a tendency to overexaggerate stuff and make everything seem even worse than it really is (due to my anxiety issues) so he kind of thought that I was exaggerating this whole gay thing and he told me that I was doing it for attention so that the whole family would pay attention to me instead of him for once. All of it isn't true, I had already known that I liked guys ever since I was 12. I had just been in massive denial until now. Also, my brother is threatening to tell my mom to consult with the pastor at my church to help "pray the gay away" if it turns out that I actually am gay. What should I tell my brother? Does praying the gay away actually work?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No it doesn't work and it never will.

3. DrkRayne

NO it doesnt work. I was in ex-gay therapy at church and it just makes you depressed. Don't talk to him anymore, he sound like he won't be supportive. Try a friend or a counselor at school or something.

4. Williamtheloner

What do they do in ex gay therapy anyways? Oh and I haven't actually told my brother (or ANYONE for that matter) that I actually am gay. I just gave him a teeny tiny hint. I told him that I'm not gay. I'll come out to him along with the rest of my family when the time's right.

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since when do people say they have a social liability like being gay because they want attention? In the words of Jeff Foxworthy, that's like buying a 747 because you want free peanuts.

7. tommyj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would agree with the others. I've been praying that it would go away for many years and I have been living a live of depression for many years. I've finally accepted it and I feel so much better. God loves us the way that he Created us. Take you time, figure out what you want to do next, find a good supportive friend to help you through the process.