1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family still in denial?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Idris, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Idris

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been dealing with my sexuality for about three years,my coming out anniversary(the one where I did actually talk about it more clearer) was a year ago last month. Since then, I've been continuing my counselor, and I've opened up to a local friend who happens to be an LGBT ally and is very active in the LGBT community. I'm going to be 25 in a few months, and I've rarely been in relationships.Most of the reasoning being that I had a lot of personal stuff to sift through, and when I was in high school, I had no interest in dating, so I never pursued anything until after 21. I've dated two guys and one girl, and I'm still great friends with all of them. But the two times I did come out prior, my mom kept avoiding the subject, and to this day, any mention of me not being straight gets swept under the table. I've known this since I was 17,18 years old,maybe even earlier but I brushed it under the table, thinking it would pass. It didn't because I feel the same way about the opposite sex that I did when I was 13. I literally feel little to no interest in them past friendship.

It's like ever since my ex and close friend and I ended things, it's like my family pretends it never happened. My mom's reaction wasn't the greatest when I was dating my friend, and it hurt me in the fact that I realized if even she and I got back together in that way(we ended because we felt we jumped too quickly, and the distance really did a number on things) or if I found another girl, that my mom wouldn't likely accept it. She keeps indirectly pushing me to date/like guys. One example of that was during a break in my relationship, she tried to push me to go back to dating my close guy friend, who happens to be my ex as well, and I told her no and that he and I were better off friends. Any time one of my guy friends comes over, it's clear she'd rather me be with guys, yet I don't see myself that way, so I have to constantly tell her that I don't see them in that way, and that they're just my friends. My brother was the supportive one of the two of them, so I'm lucky in that area. But both of them pretty much tell me that all I can ever be is bisexual, just because I've dated a guy(like really briefly, and nothing happened barely because I did it because I wanted to say I did at least try dating one, even though I was really not interested in dating them.) My relationship with my close female friend outlived the relationship I had with a guy. Right now though, I'm more focused on being me and living without labeling as much as possible, although I've come out as demisexual and bisexual with female preference to my friend as well. I've just wondered if I should just continue with what I've been doing, and just not tell my family again unless I date again?