1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Letting go of old problems.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Jango307, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Jango307

Hey people,

So today I find myself turning to people for some advice. I've had a long hard road to self acceptance and making straight friends who accept me or gay friends. My story in itself is very long and detailed and may be better for another time.

Today I wanted to bring up an old issue I need to face to finish my path to healing.

I am a gay man, have friends who are also gay men, and I fully support our causes and try to help. The issue is, every single gay woman I have ever met has been a complete psychopath. As a college student I was friends with a straight girl (who was part of my journey) and she had an older sister who was gay and was rather, well...butch. This girl also actively despised guys and at one point wanted her straight sister to file a false rape charge against me. Because, according to her, all men, even gay men, hurt women.

That was the first time. As it's gone on I've met other lesbians who have told me I am evil, an abuser, that old word "misogyny" has been thrown around way too much, and pretty much I have no friends who are gay women.

Now, here's the thing. I know not all lesbians are like this. But in the areas I've lived (I grew up in the southeast, and live in the mid-west now) this has been the attitude. I want to get past this old attitude and not become extremely uncomfortable when I see a lesbian couple or meet a woman who identifies as such. Every time I feel my chest tighten, my pulse quicken, and I feel my fight or flight instinct kick in. I feel like I need to defend myself against false accusations and hate speech.