1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friend expectations, disappointment

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by quicksplash, Oct 22, 2013.

1. quicksplash

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't get people. Apparently, I can sorta make friends, but then they end up disappointing me. Are my expectations too high? It seems like such a balancing act, trying to figure out a place between high and low expectations.

I haven't really talked to my friends "" in about a month. From what psychology I know, part of its probably me: I isolate myself, maybe it gives me a sense of control. (But I really didn't feel like talking to them the whole time, like I've had enough of people, particularly the group of gay friends that I know). I wanna see if anyone cares..idk. I mean I sort of know what I'm doing? I mean, I'm partly at fault at least. Maybe it'd be fine if I wasn't aware of what I was doing, but I try to be rational and not be so emotions, which to me, runs a greater risk of being hurt.

I mean I start the conversation like never. I don't know what to talk about, what to say. I don't want to be rejected or experience disappointment so I sort of avoid it altogether. Basically, people talk to me, and then I talk to them. But I'm bad at continuing conversations without them dying a long awkward silence, a quick drop into silence, short answers, or parroting. Nothing to say.
    It sucks. It really does.

I'm bad at keeping up friendships I guess.
    I also often feel left out of conversations, which makes me just be less interested if I wasn't already not interested, and think: oh, I'm here if ..yeah...sigh..whatever...I sorta don't want to be here. I just feel like no-one pays attention to me; like I'm not really there. [I thought we were friends, but you guys have been talking to each other and I'm not in the conversation...]
    Am I being an attention whore? Jealous?

Am I driving people away? Seem uninterested? I expect nothing; I don't act first because I don't want to be hurt, but then we become friends or sort of, and then my expectations go up, (I still don't ever initiate anything) and then :icon_sad:
    Is it my expectations? Cause to be honest, embarrassing honest, I would really like to have a friend relationship like they show on screen. Someone who gets me and who I enjoy being around, and (someone that I wouldn't feel left out around). Clinginess much? But people already have their besties...So I can't really trust people so that I can avoid the hurt... I know that if I can't even have good friend-relationships, love is not even on the horizon any time soon huh... I'm sorry.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMG It's me from a few months ago! Spooky!

Quick question splash. Are you happy with yourself? By which I mean, do you like the person you are, would you be friends with you?

I ask this, because I sure as hell didn't like myself for most of my life and felt basically the same as you. I got help with that, improved my own self image and it HAS helped...that's all I've got in the advice department I'm afraid! sorry!