1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting parents through too much

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Bzrk, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Bzrk

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, I'm worried about telling my parents I'm gay because I've already put them through my major anxiety issues, depression, fear of leaving the house, me being bullied, low self esteem and the fact that I have autism I'm worried that telling them I'm gay will be too much and I don't want to put them through more than I already have. On the bright side they've been great about all of the above issues and they understood them or at least pretended too.
    Not really a question just more of a rant and hoping I'm not alone in feeling that I've put my parents through all of these things and don't want to put them through anymore.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they've been supportive before, they should be supportive now. I think you can expect more of the same when you tell them, it's probably one of the easier things for them to deal with. I think you owe them your honesty above all else. I think you could use their support here as well, they would be disappointed if you kept this from them (this seems to be a common reaction: "why didn't you tell us sooner?")

3. tommyj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You may find that coming out will help you become a better more confident person and they won't have to worry about you as much. Then they will feel more at ease and actually cause them less stress. I can't say for sure, but what I think.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's probably worth remembering that you'll be putting them through a hell of a lot more when they have to deal with whatever happens when you start hiding and/or supressing your sexuality for their benefit.