1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling guilty about relationship with parents

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by monotone, Oct 23, 2013.

1. monotone

I've been wondering (ok, worrying) whether I'm being douchey by not particularly liking my parents.

They're ok with me being gay, and I figure I've been living well off them for the past 20+ years. It's just that I feel a lot of pressure from them about grades, even though I'm already in college. Nothing terrible is happening, just that, like, they'll be disappointed if I don't graduate cum laude, etc. Also, I think I feel this way because of my upbringing, for instance, mom used to make me bring homework to do on holidays abroad.

I don't like living with them. For instance, I feel a lot more relaxed every time they go for holidays without me. Is this wrong?

2. rin101

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not necessarily. There's a deep difference between "liking" and "loving" someone. I love my brother, but damn if I don't always like him.
    It's clear that they do love you. And parents will always have ridiculously high expectations for their kids--but even if you don't graduate cum laude and go on to be president of the United States, I'm sure they'll still love.
    And, of course, I can see how living them would get old. Have you considered living on campus? Or renting an apartment? That might ease your stress.

3. rayan

rayan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'm very happy for you that your parents are ok with your sexuality , can't say that about mine ....
    And come on , we don't always like spending our holidays with our parents , esp at our age :wink:

4. srslywtf

I think its normal, at least for parents who hold 'expectations' and express disappointment when you dont do what they expect...

I dont think its fair for parents to be that way really... bu hey, cant do much.. i could never cut them out of my life, even if it would be easier on me.

5. wanderinggirl

I just wanna slap people when they say "My mom is my best friend!" Were they in the Brady bunch or something? Are you Lorelai and Rory Gilmore? Or Marshall and Marvin Erickson? Come on. In reality I probably have this reaction because I know how much my mom wishes we had that relationship and I feel bad for letting her down, but we just don't.

I can certainly understand where you're coming from; you are in college trying to have a life but they are the voice in the back of your head telling you not to have fun and to study hard so that they won't be disappointed in you. That's a lot of extra pressure, at a time in your life when you should be staking out your independence.

I have a lot of anger towards my parents that I am just now acknowledging (not through therapy or anything, but through awareness of my emotions). Like yours, they did nothing bad, I just got sick of the pressure.

I agree with rin101, I think it's important to love and respect your parents, but you don't have to like them. Do you have siblings? It might help to talk with them.

6. monotone

Thanks for your support everyone. I do feel a lot better about this now.

Wanderinggirl: I'm not very close to my brother, I'm not even out to him.

rayan: Hope your parents come around eventually, mine took a while to accept it, although it helped that they're not religious.

rin101: I'll never be able to be POTUS, because I'm not a citizen and I can never become a natural-born citizen. Also, most college students here live with their parents.