1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm afraid I scared my with my anxiety

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by charlavail, Oct 23, 2013.

1. charlavail

Out Status:
    All but family
    There are about 2 people in college that I have met so far that haven't made me feel like shit about everything and anything I do. I don't know how I managed to start of college and the first group of friends I make end up being people who picked don everything about me, from the way I ate, to things I said and wore and did. I already have problems with anxiety and depression, so it sucks having to hear all those things in a college which is supposed to be a safe space.

I was hanging out with someone who said something to me the other day that really made me feel terrible (I was already feeling terrible) and then I just kind of left. After wandering around the building for a while, I saw one of the people that I'm actually comfortable with, so I sat with them.

Sometimes I get into states where I'm afraid I'll hurt myself if I'm not with someone. I get too involved in my thoughts and then things get worse. I have this person as a dear friend, because whenever I hang out with them, I don't think about any of my problems.

I was kind of shaking, and really nervous, but it was okay if we didn't talk. They were kind about it, asked me if I was okay, if I needed a hug, and then gave me a bunch of their stuff to play around with because I always have my hands occupied with something, and they know this.

However, I'm still afraid that my panicky self may have turned them away, and that I will have lost them as a friend. I don't think they understand to the extent that I hold them as a dear friend, which is okay. It's hard for me to actually see them around campus if we don't set up a time before. I was actually thinking of apologizing the next time I saw them, but then I think that they wouldn't be a true friend if they wouldn't be there to support me.

What should I do? What do I say to them the next time that I see them?

2. Thursby

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you should seek out someone to talk to (someone who is experienced in dealing with issues like these) like a college counselor. If you feel like you want to hurt yourself I suggest you go to this counselor or adult as soon as you can because its not okay to feel that way. You have to talk it out in a safe environment where you know you won't be judged. I used to have feelings like that too and I went to a counselor for help. Believe me, talking about it helps immensely.