1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some advice from people who've gone through similar crushes on best friends

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by unknown2778, Oct 26, 2013.

1. unknown2778

Hey there. So I've been reading EC for a while since I came out this year, and now have decided to ask for my own advice. People on this forum really give good tips, and I'm hoping you can help with my situation. Sorry ahead of time for the intense read.

I met my friend (I'll call him James) two years ago. We were in a frat together, one that's really forward leaning etc. One of our best mutual friends is gay from the frat, so we are accepting and tolerant people. Even though James and I were in the same community for three years, we didn't really connect until our senior year.

I've known I liked men for much of my life. I still don't know where I stand on labels, though I know I never really fell for a guy until I met James. It may have been an immediate attraction because I pressed on becoming friends with him for the remainder of the year. He and I got close, and we went on trips together (with other people) and then we graduated university. I was still very much in denial of my feelings for men and him at that point, so I numbed it out and was able to hang with him and we became great friends.

After we graduated, we dropped acid one day together with our mutual gay friend and another friend, and that trip was when I acknowledged to myself my feelings for him. (Drugs will do that I guess). It so happened that towards the end of the trip, we spent about 1hr30 to 2hrs just talking. Now this may seem like nothing, however, he's not a big talker and I was on cloud-9. I felt my attraction and for some reason, I felt his as well (though more on that later).

We had more encounters that summer, and then I went to law school. I knew it wouldn't work out between him and me because of course I wasn't ready to come out yet and I was going 3000 miles away. Yet, I ended up leaving law school to pursue a different career path after one semester. So I returned, and the feelings returned as well.

We started these "walks." I was in an incredibly hard life transition. I was beginning to come to terms with my sexuality, my career choice, and my past family issues. I don't really remember how they started, yet I couldn't keep away from calling him up for these walks. I pined for his attention, and I was the one initiating. These walks consisted of just the two of us walking and talking about serious and not-so-serious stuff. The attraction got more intense.

It got so intense, that I ended up seeking out therapy (not only for my sexuality though) and decided to come out. I came out as "liking both men and women" to my immediate family and close friends. It took me a while to come out to James, though I did.

Now, I've been out to him for about 4 months and I believe I came out because I wanted him to come out to me too (which I understand the illogical reasoning there). It's turned into love at this point. I want to tell him. I have a written letter prepared to share with him detailing my feelings, and that I need space because I realize I just want to be friends.

More on James: He's never dated anyone. He's very quiet, unless it's the two of us talking. He and I have talked about our female crushes (this was in college). On one of our earlier trips in college, he spooned me when we were sharing the same bed. (later on we shared the same bed, though never drunk and nothing's happened) One time on a different trip together, I was sitting in a chair in a room by myself, when he walked in and went straight to sit on my lap. I got really uncomfortable and, yes, I tickled him to get off. Neither of us said anything after that. Yet, on that same trip, we shared a bed only one night, and after we "went to sleep" I felt him circle my ass with his finger for a minute or two. I didn't react because I was nervous and hadn't come out at that point. Another time, when we were drunk walking to his car once, he ran a little ahead of me and pretended to injure himself and fell to the sidewalk. I just laughed and then he got up and we went on. I'm not a shopper, but he definitely is, and he really cares about his appearance. He is constantly fixing his hair when we hang out and making sure he looks good in the mirror.

There's a lot more, and I could go on, though I'll just share this most recent camping trip.
    We didn't drive together due to schedules. We got there set up the tent (there was 7 of us in one tent), and the first night was typical. I ended up sleeping beside a different friend and the edge of the tent. The next night, he got really drunk, and at one point, when everyone was pretty much heading for the tent, he told the rest of the group to head to bed while he and I would stay up for a little bit and burn out the fire. The rest of the group left for the tent, and he and I hung out. He was having funny pouring lighter fluid into the fire and watching me freak out and back up. I was sort of drunk, though definitely not as much as him. Then, we were talking about stuff. He told me to sit by him. I got really lovesick then I remember because I don't remember what we talked about. Then, he shared a story he's never told anyone about his dad with me. Then, we talked some more. Finally, he was ready to go to bed I guess, yet the fire still had some life, so I said let's wait a few minutes. We sat next to each other not saying anything. Then, I said ok, let's go to bed. He got to the tent first. I had to piss, so I walked in to him moving all my stuff from where I slept the night before right next to him. I complained, though didn't move it back because I was into it. Nothing happened at night.

I've read many stories about wondering if you're friend has feelings for you. I know it can be tedious, however I'd appreciate if you would let me know what you think. I talked with two of my friends who both came to the conclusion that we're just best friends and my heart has got caught up in something greater. If you need more info from me, please let me know.

My questions are: Could my friend like men? Could my friend like me? Would it be ok, because I'm really pining for him, to send this letter detailing that I "like him more than a friend" so I can begin to move on? Is it worth it to give him the letter or just distance myself for the time being? I appreciate any help. Thanks!

2. confused1234

I don't have time to respond at length right now, but I went through something very similar with a fraternity brother. I'll write something up tonight or tomorrow. Another poster, ryanalexander, also went through something similar. I'm sure he'll respond at some point.

3. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been through something like this, but my friend had a gf and was straight... and eventually the whole thing just ended
    I'm not sure what the best thing to do is. If you want to be safe, I guess you can just test the waters by gradually giving him signals and doing more touchy things and seeing how he responds. Otherwise, you could talk to him about it if you think that you can both handle that. But whatever you do, try to keep the friendship, because I can tell you now there's nothing worse than losing one like that.

4. ryanalexander61

Jeez, are our stories are eerily similar, haha and I guess me and Confused are the resident experts on relationships amongst fraternity brothers, I have a couple of threads that you could reference for more advice (as does Confused).

Anyway, I like you, was in a fraternity and fell for a fellow member. I also sought out therapy in regards to this situation as well as issues with coming out. And I also came out to this friend with the hope that a. he may do the same, and b. it might help me get over it, so don’t think your logic was that stupid. He sort of dismissed it so it didn't really give me any answers. I also had penned a letter discussing my feelings, but decided against sending it because we weren't really close at the time and aren't really any more. Like you, this friend and I shared some very intimate moments. Haha, like you I have also taken LSD and somewhat like/unlike you, I am in law school currently.

As the situation unfolded for me, my feelings eventually got to be too much and it was making me very unhappy so I was tortured by the question of do I tell him or just try to establish space.

So on your situation…
    Could your friend like men? Well, maybe. There is no amount of evidence that someone can put out there that makes it worth really analyzing. Why? Your friend is probably not at the same level of accepting or discussing his sexuality. He is likely either straight or has not accepted himself yet. Both of these scenarios means he won’t (at this time) be able to or willing to reciprocate your feelings.

Could your friend like you? Again, maybe. All the reasoning above applies here. He might like you, but might not really understand his feelings.

Should you tell him about your crush? Well, for me I didn’t tell my friend my feelings because my friend never would open up to me or talk to me when I brought emotional things. My friend seemed very immature and I knew that sending the letter would not garner the response I was looking for. And the response I was looking for was not, “yes I love you too” but something to address things that happened between us to help me move on. For him to admit, yeah I hurt you or yes I said those things and did those things. My friend was too immature to ever face or admit the things that he had done so I didn’t want to open myself up to him anymore. Any time I sought out his help, he dismissed me so I said forget it and opted not to say anything and just move on the best I could.

In these situations, I always caution against letting yourself be strung along hoping that your friend may come around. I think you have the right mindset: you want to move on, rather than just looking for someone on here to say “yes your friend is gay and loves you.” It really isn't worth it to try and subtly discover his sexuality via touching and stuff, because say you guys drunkingly hold hands or something (this happened to me) it will only make you analyze his behavior more and fall for him more. And yet still, he won't be willing to discuss it with you.

If your friend is mature, understanding and supportive, than maybe it might be worth saying something. My friend was immature, and childish so I didn’t. We also had very little actual contact, so I could easily not have any contact with him at all and didn’t have to explain anything.

How do you think he will react to your letter? How often do you guys talk/hang out currently?

5. Thursby

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have been in a similar situation and know exactly how you feel when you describe the "pining" feelings. Its like it consumes your every waking moment. I have to say though, regardless of whether he reciprocates your feelings, you will feel much better after you tell him. Its like all the anxiety you've been carrying around has been lifted off your shoulders. Just remember, if things don't work out there is someone out there for you it just takes time.

6. confused1234

Unknown, Ryan's advice is spot on, but I'll quickly share my story because I approached the situation with my friend in a slightly different way.

Personally, I was not willing to distance myself from my friend. I desperately wanted to get over my deeper feelings for him, but I did not want to completely end the friendship. In any case, doing so would have been very odd at the time, and I would have probably had to explain why I was distancing myself anyway.

So I took the more direct approach. Like you are suggesting, I wrote a letter to my friend explaining my deeper feelings. I theorized that the only way I would get over him was if I was sure of his sexuality and if he outright rejected me. He did reject me, as I expected, and it really helped me to see my situation with more clarity. He was straight. Definitively and absolutely straight. We could never be together. He liked me as a friend, but nothing more. After confronting the situation directly, I was able to get over my feelings.

The one thing you risk with this approach is damaging the friendship. It's possible that your friend will be freaked out if you give him the letter. My friend certainly was. And even months later, our friendship is not back to normal. He is not comfortable around me. We don't talk much anymore, even though we live under the same roof. I'm okay with that, because being in love with him was much more miserable. But would you be okay with that outcome? Because an outcome like that is possible if you tell him about your feelings.

For me though, it was no-brainer. I was too miserable to not tell him and get some closure.

7. unknown2778

Thank you all so much for commenting with your advice. It's been very helpful and also comforting to see that I'm not the only one out there with this dilemma. I have decided to tell him so I can move on. I've been encouraged to approach him face to face instead of sending him a letter, and, while that seems daunting, I believe it is the most honest and forthright.

ryanalexander: I've read back to some of your earlier posts, and yes, I see many similarities. Like you say, even if he may like men and may like me, he wouldn't be ready to address his feelings and sexuality. Your comment was very helpful and I want to answer your questions for me. I have a 60% feeling he'll react in a respectful manner to me telling him. Our hang out time is rather inconsistent. He works a lot, so we only get to see each other on weekends. For three weekends in a row we hung out (including the camping trip), and then this past weekend I just didn't feel like hanging with him. He's not an initiator, so I didn't expect him to call me.

confused: I also looked through your previous posts which were very helpful and I also see similarities in my situation. I believe my intentions are more in line with how you were feeling and it's getting too painful so I will tell him. As for the friendship, I realize, like what ryanalexander had said, if he's mature enough he'll hopefully be respectful and we can move on. It is a tough situation, and I think I just have to see what happens. I think, like you said, that getting out of love is my first priority, so I may have to make a sacrifice here. Hopefully, it won't come to that though, and he'll be understanding. I plan to keep my distance for a couple of months and I hope to return and see where we stand. I do need closure to move on, and I believe moving on from him will be a big part in my coming out process.

Just a few questions for when I do tell him. The only time I plan on using the word "love" is if he asks me if I do love him. When is it cool to use that word? Also, if he asks how long this has been going on, I want to tell him the truth, though would that just antagonize the situation further? If you have any other tips for me for when I tell him in the next week, let me know.

Again, thank you guys so much for the help. I'm glad I've found people who can relate. It really let's some of the pressure go. I hope you guys are doing well now in relationships, as I can see from your posts, which gives me hope for the future.

8. RyanCJJ

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I've been through something like this with a guy through camp as well. Talk to him about it, he's probably feeling the same way towards you and is as nervous as you to come out. Hope everything turns out well, Good luck bro! ^^~

9. ryanalexander61

I would caution against using the word "love". I would just say something along the lines of "my feelings for you have grown more than just a friend" or something to that effect and that "I need some time to let those feelings go away".

Unless he really digs in for details, I wouldn't get into how long, etc. But if he asks questions there is no harm in being honest. If he wants to know, he wants to know.

Your situation is different then mine in that you still have frequent contact and see the person so I think you are taking the right approach.

Best of luck,

10. confused1234

The only other piece of advice I have is to make sure that your friend knows that he is in no way at fault. My friend, when I told him, thought I was trying to make him feel guilty for not returning my feelings. That was the last thing I was trying to do, but I wish I had made that more clear. It was my problem, not his.

Good luck man.