1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Does He Keep Pushing?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Juneberry, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Juneberry

Out Status:
    Some people
    So I know this person...Let's call him F so that it's not super definite or anything. Anyway...F is a nice guy generally. He's friendly and always makes sure to greet me when I see him at the program we both go to. However, he's a fairly pushy person with various things.

Overall, he seems to be open-minded. However, we've talked about various things- religion, that I prefer girls. He's not being too pushy anymore with the fact he supposedly had a crush on me (though he also said he had a crush on a lot of people anyway), but for example, he keeps asking me when I'll be willing to convert to his religion. He said he thought my religion was awesome, but he still keeps pushing me to join his, which I'm not interested in. And he did push his crush for a while. He pushed it before admitting to having it. So...

How do you deal with a person who keeps pushing things you already told your side on multiple times? I can't avoid him at the program. But I get nervous knowing I may have to deal with him too. Is there a way I can ask him to stop pushing without it getting to be more a problem? Or should I just keep reminding him I'm not interested in the things he keeps trying to push?

2. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My personal opinion is that the freedom to believe what you want to, and do what you want to cannot be given or taken by any fellow human being.

I am totally open and cool with religion. I've studied most of them, and they're all pretty cool at the core.

But when people start getting pushy or aggressive - that's when alarm bells need to start ringing.

Any belief has to come from within, and be genuine. You can't just decide it based on a whim. That seems to be the difference between genuinely enlightened people, and the clearly brainwashed people.

I try not to be judgmental, but I think that he's acting mighty weird towards you, and honestly, speaking as a religious-friendly person, he gives me the creeps. Sorry :frowning2:

I think you should be firm with him. Ask him calmly, kindly yet clearly to stop. It's clearly bothering you. You'd not have sought opinions here otherwise.

Just be careful, if it starts getting a bit too much don't be alone with him etc.

Take care :slight_smile:

3. Iodine

Out Status:
    All but family
    I think you should sit down with him and have a serious talk. Outline that yes, your religion is your religion, and that no, you are not interested in converting to his religion, for example. Present him with your side of the situation in such a way that there are no communication errors. Confront him , nonviolently if possible:icon_wink , and just tell him straight up.
    Not doing so may result in him becoming even pushier. But be friendly about it! I usually have problems controlling my sarcasm, so if you, like me, have no verbal filter, watch out. That's really all that I can think to do in that situation, though. Good luck! :slight_smile:

4. Juneberry

Out Status:
    Some people
    Since the place we meet at is a therapeutic-based environment, I've thought of talking to my case manager about having a dual meeting with him if it gets to be too much- so don't worry, being alone with him won't be a big issue to worry about. I've been too nervous to tell her about it in general though because I don't know if some of the rules of other similar(ish) places apply, and I don't want to get him in trouble either. He's generally a good guy, after all.

So talking about it here and getting that feedback helps. I'll have to try to have a good talk with him soon. Though...I'll have to be super careful with my wording. I try to use 'I' statements, but...Sometimes my words come out wrong. I'm much better at writing than speaking.

And Saturn, don't feel too bad. I felt that way at points too with him. I think anyone saying that they think you'll heal their problems by kissing them is a bit on the creepy side, though...Of course, naturally I didn't and got out of it. :grin: