1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dad making fun of me

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MerBear, Oct 27, 2013.

1. MerBear

Okay, i don't know what to do. On Friday night, i went to an amusement park with my girlfriend and i lost my voice from laughing and calling her name so many times and so when i got in the car, i was talking to her and after i dropped her off at her house,

he said "why are you deepening your voice around her?" and i was like "i wasn't, i lost my voice" and he kept telling me since yesterday that i was trying to act like a "man" around her

and he told my sister about it, and they both were laughing and he said that i should just act myself around her and stop acting "butch" and its like...really getting me down because i wasn't trying to be manly around her....he also said that if i was aware of what i was doing, i would see....maybe i was but i sure as hell don't remember

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you lost your voice you lost your voice, but you can see why he thought you were doing it on purpose.

See what he says next time he hears you speaking to her. If he STILL thinks you're doing it on purpose, maybe ask your girlfriend if you ARE doing it accidentally

3. MerBear

yeah, you see....i don't know what i actually sound like unless im recorded.
    when my voice is all scratchy and i lost it from using it too much, it sounds just scratchy and kind of feminine..high pitched.

but maybe in real life, it sounds deep but i dont think i was doing it on purpose. if i was doing it on purpose, i feel like i would be aware of it.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not if it comes naturally to you! You probably weren't, at least, not to the extent your dad seems to suggest you were. If you were dropping it that much you would probably recognize it...

5. MerBear

I know, i just dont know how to deal with him and his comments sometimes...

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well you COULD sarcastically agree with him and get on with it, although it won't necessarily make things better

7. MerBear

i've tried but he never stops. he makes fun of me a lot whenever he gets the chance especially since i came out to him. he accepts me but yet one time I told him, i needed to get a hair cut and he said

"oh no you don't! your not going butch on me" and I wasn't even talking about cutting my hair short. just a trim like..

he always stereotypes against me

8. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you ever sat him down and told him any of this? I realise it's not an EASY thing to do, but if you haven't already you ought to!

9. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    OK, how about trying to deepen your voice as much as you can on purpose?

Try imitating famous lines from actors with deep voices?

Sing some Barry White? I dunno, anything that puts you back in control and could even be fun :slight_smile:

10. MerBear

its hard hahaha. i sound weird when i do it.