1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No one seems to believe me

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Angel1023, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Angel1023

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ive only come out to a few people, but some of them dont seem to really believe me. I think its more down to the fact Ive never been in a relationship with the same gender, but then again ive only been in one with a boy. I have been cute and cuddley and you know the rest.. with girls though
    A few people i have told understood me, and accept me, but other people who id be really close to , and family members dont believe me at all. they think im just going through a phase, or that im not being serious about it.. Im trying a new trend, trying to fit in when im not.. its really me, this is who i am! What can i do? How can i talk to them about it and prove that im not just going through a phase, this is who i am. What can i say?.. Reeally stuck :frowning2::dry:
    I am really nervous to come out fully to everyone too.. feel really alone.. :icon_sad:

2. TheMailman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That was my parents response too: It's a phase.

Can't really help you, you might just have to wait a while, until they understand it's not a phase.
    And you don't have to tell everyone. Maybe just try living as if you already had, and people will ask you themselves, which is a lot easier.

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in the same position as you--bi but single and no experience with same-sex relationships. When I came out to my parents, they thought it was some sort of admission of defeat in my attempt to date girls. I told them that this was something that I'd struggled with long before I ever started dating girls, that I wouldn't have told them if it was just an experiment, and that being LGBT is not taking the easy way out in any way, shape, or form.

Tell as many or as few people as you feel comfortable telling. There's no need for you to do anything urgently. Just keep being yourself and doing what you like to do.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's a question for you.

DO you NEED to prove it to them? If so, why?

There are plenty of times you might need to prove to someone you're gay. If they kept trying to set you up with people for example, or if they kept making really offensive anti-gay comments and expected you to back them up. But right now, how many of those are happening? It sucks to have people not believe you when you tell them something important. My mum didn't believe me when I told her. HOWEVER the chances are they will accept it better when you eventually bring someone home, than if you keep trying to persuade them. If you spend the next few weeks going "no seriously I'm gay!" or something, then you suddenly brought home a girl, I would be prepared to bet they would tell you that you only brought them home to prove a point!

5. Angel1023

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the post, Its good to see that im definatly not alone and people understand. Thank you :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 28th Oct 2013 at 11:20 PM ----------

Made a really good point :slight_smile: Thank you for your comment :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 28th Oct 2013 at 11:21 PM ----------

yeah your right! I keep living my life and people will get the answer when they ask me themselves, thanks :slight_smile:

6. Wardrobe93

I think you need to not care so much if they don't believe you, at the end of the day you've come out for you! not anyone else If you can accept yourself, then its other peoples problem if they can't accept you, good luck and dont feel rushed into a relationship to prove yourself, your next attraction may be to a guy? Don't feel, even when you're out, that you have to prove it, just as when you're in the closet don't prove you're straight x

7. Angel1023

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Really good advice thank you!! Your right i come out for me not for anybody else :slight_smile: thank you x

8. Wardrobe93

No worries, im a bit of a hypocrite as i havent come out and a big reason is cus of what people will think and the fear of change :S but hopefully ill take my own advice soon :grin:

9. Angel1023

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You should! :icon_bigg

10. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just as stated by everyone else already; there's no need to prove it. I came out to my parents 5 years ago and for the first year and a half my mother kept thinking it was only a phase. I knew that was what she thought but I told myself why should I have to prove myself on order for her to believe. So I never went out of my way to get my mom or anybody else to try to belive I figured at the end of the day I am who I am regardless of what believe and the fact that I had the courage to tell people I was gay was good enough from me. With that being said you don't have to prove to anyone that you are Bi, just do you and be proud of the fact that you had the courage to tell people and family members that you were Bi.

11. lovely lesbian

Agree with everyone you don't need to prove anything you have come out for you not them x