1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't think I can be friends with her anymore

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Spirit, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Spirit

I've been having so much trouble with my friend S, that I'm just not sure if it's worth it. I feel like we keep getting into fights over really stupid things, like the fact that she's older than me, and now over MY astrology. We were texting about astrology and about how air and earth signs don't get along. Then she just went off on me about how that's why she gets annoyed with me, and how clingy I am. She said that if I was offended by her pointing it out, than I should stop doing it. The next day I tried to patch things up by saying that I would take a step back if she wants, and that she can just ask instead of taking a petty jab at me. A few hours later, she sent me a four message long rant that spun the 'petty jab' thing to make me sound like I was being a bitch. And she said that I shouldn't be denying myself by not acting like a capricorn when I "Go after some chick". I felt like shit after she sent me that.

I just don't know if I can be friends with someone I get into stupid fights with every two months. I know that things will probably go back to normal in a few weeks if I just wait it out, and that when she's not being a bitch she's one of the best friends I've ever had. But my mom said how much that sounds like the things that women in abusive relationships say. ex-He's so nice, except when he hits me. It's a hard comparison.

I want to tell her that it's not okay to treat me like this. But I don't know how... :help:

2. Lucky Oshawott

Honestly? It sounds like she just doesn't deserve your friendship. She seems to me to be being unfair and mean to you. Though, maybe she's having problems of her own that are leading to this attitude? Maybe you should give her a bit of time alone first before taking any other action. Maybe then you could calmly approach her and ask if she's alright. Hope this helps.

3. Spirit

Thanks man. I haven't responded to her rant, which was on Friday, so I'm guessing she's calmed down by now. There are a couple of things that could be stressing her out, but none of them excuse talking to me like this. She did tell me about a sexuality crisis that she had a few months ago, (I'm not convinced it ended), and maybe the fact that I'm a close friend and lesbian is bothering her? She did hypothetically and/or rhetorically ask me why we couldn't be secret lesbian hooligans, if that has anything to do with anything. But still...

I'll probably bump into her at some point this week, and if we get some time alone, I'm going to bring it up for sure. I'm just not sure what to say.

4. Lucky Oshawott

I guess you should ask her how she's feeling first; just to make sure she's alright with having a conversation. But you should definitely make your feelings known to her. Let her know that she's upset you and hopefully she'll understand that she may have taken it a step too far.

5. Spirit

Thanks, I really do want to sit down with her and talk this out. My best chance of this is on Friday, but fingers crossed that it can happen sooner!

6. GayNerd

It could be that she is going through something. You could ask her, but if she acts like you're prying, ask a friend to ask her. She should respond calmly. Then your friend could tell you what is going on. If nothing is going on, it might be best to end the friendship. If something is going on, tell her that if anything is going on(to make it seem like you don't know), she could ask you. Then just see what goes from there. :slight_smile:

7. Spirit

Thanks. We have a couple of friends in common. So I can probably ask on of them, and then maybe her. I might try talking to her on late start, since I know she hangs out in the library.

8. Spirit

Hey, here's a quick update on the situation. I asked one of her friends about her, and it sounds like being stage manager of the school play is stressing her out. Tomorrow, I'm going to go talk to her before school starts. I'm not going to make a big deal out of it. Here's basic summary of what I want to say..

"Hey, S, can we talk? I just want to know where we are right now. I feel like we're mad at each other over really stupid things. But like I was trying to tell you, if you want me to take a step back, I will."

#8 Spirit, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  9. Lucky Oshawott

Sorry I've been away! Damn Time Zones... But that sounds like a good idea. You'll probably be asleep right now but I hope it goes well tomorrow/later today.

10. Spirit

It actually went perfectly! It was resolved very quickly. She apologized several times for the whole thing, and we agreed that it was a stupid fight. Even better we promised never to fight again, unless (to quotes her) "there's another civil war and one of us is stupid enough to go against the other." She explained why she went off on me about not acting like a capricorn. Apparently she's seen a lot of her friends not act like themselves when they liked someone, and she didn't want to see me go sown that path. She admitted that it wasn't the best way of telling me that, and that I had gotten a rant that should've gone to eight other people, all got focused on me. She seems genuinely sorry, so hopefully things will go back to normal! c:

11. mvjp

sounds like she needs to stop putting so much weight on astrology (it means nothing) if you have made up try to make it clear that it cant get that bad again you cant let people make you feel like shit hun

12. Lucky Oshawott

That's great to hear! I'm happy for you! :slight_smile: