1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I leave this relationship?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by 90swerebetter, Oct 29, 2013.

1. 90swerebetter

Hello there. I warn you that this is a long post but I beg those of you who have the time to please help. I'm being detailed to avoid any misconceptions.

Two gay males, 20-years-old.

So I'm in a relationship of a year now. It started unconventionally (via a blogging site) and we had a long distance relationship until our first meeting and subsequent other meetings in which our feelings were confirmed and we became official. I'm British and he is Italian living in Italy. Anyway - I've moved to his city now (I speak Italian) and am living here. I gave up my life in England ultimately for our relationship and although I don't want to appear a victim - I truly gave up everything for us.

I have deep insecurity issues stemming from my abuse from my father when I was younger and therefore I am having real trouble in deciphering whether this is a healthy relationship or not. My instincts say it isn't but my insecurities tell me that maybe I'm being too picky or arrogant towards this boy.

Anyway - now I'm in his city and I've discovered that he is a very aggressive person. Please don't lecture me about coming here. I live by the belief that if you live in fear you'll never do anything - I took a risk for love and it has backfired and I know this.

He's physically aggressive and has punched me in the face during a physical altercation in which I played my part too. He's hit me with a shoe when I swore at him and often resorts to physical violence when I speak out of line or act a certain way. Part of me says this is wrong and part of me wonders if it is simply a different culture where physical discipline is, culturally and if only slightly, more accepted (this is true in Italy).

What a rather pathetic but important point to make is that this boy is obsessed with Lady Gaga. He is a member of that tribe of "Little Monsters" who worships everything she does and somehow justifies it as meaningful and artistic whilst denouncing all other musicians as lesser or "basic." This really bothers me as I feel I share my boyfriend with this woman who he's never even met. He is often on Twitter when we hang out, reading her latest tweets and has a habit of literally pausing our dates to listen to her latest leaked snippet from her upcoming album.

He's also very critical and controlling of what he wants me to wear, wha hairstyle I have, what piercings I get (I wanted one on my eyebrow). All this I tend to brush under the rug and put it down to being raised in a souther Italian family where criticism and openly speaking against something a partner wants to do is normal. One half of me is tolerant and accepting that we simply have different cultures and the other half says that if he was another British boy I'd have left long ago. But I won't leave this boy as I think it would be ignorant to break up with someone on a culture clash.

The negatives aside - the reason why I stay with this boy is ultimately because I love him. In his kinder more attentive moments he is lovely and I believe he does love me. But his behaviour and obsession with Gaga often make me feel like a second priority. I've tried to talk to him about it but he simply refuses to understand or compromise.

Should I leave this relationship? I'm stuck in that typical "I've invested so much in this relationship" situation that I really am confused. I really am unhappy most of the time but I love this boy, I've moved to his city now and he is the only person I've had sex with (I was a virgin).

Do I persevere and stick with this or are these serious issues that will never change and I should leave? Please help me and be honest but compassionate.

2. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't say I've had any experience like this before. But honestly, I think that violence isn't ok, regardless of culture. I think it's abuse if he's hurting you. I don't want to tell you to end your relationship though, that's for you to decide. As for the Gaga obsession (eww), I guess everyone has their flaws... I'm more worried about the violence.

3. 90swerebetter

Thank you for your reply.

It's a point of concern for me too but after the punch I think he realised what he did. If it happened again then that would be it for me but I was also physical myself. I think we were both to blame but he just went a further than I did.

4. Nick07

Run. It's not about the culture, it's about his ignorance and abusive behavior. He doesn't respect you.
    I am sorry.

5. Thursby

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I counted 5 times that you allowed yourself to excuse his violent and abusive behavior. There is absolutely no excuse for him acting violent towards you. If he honestly and truly cared about you, he would never even think of hurting you. Violence towards another person is not acceptable in ANY culture.

Right now you aren't following your own advice. You are putting up with his violent behavior because you are truly living in fear of leaving. You deserve someone who won't abuse your love or try to change you. Please don't feel that you have to stay with him just because you made so much effort. You were brave enough to make the leap and go with him, find that courage again and reclaim your life.

6. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Eugh... a sickening product of the modern media religion.

Please, run. Protect yourself. You do NOT have to suffer physical, verbal or psychological abuse at the hands of anyone.

I have many Italian friends - from all regions of Italy. Each part is like a different country. The guy I know from Sicily (one of the most conservative and traditional parts of Italy) is a true gentleman to his partner.
    Regardless culture cannot ever be used as an excuse for domestic abuse.

Please, prioritise your own safety. Get out of there.

One thing you may want to consider is...how 'out' are you?
    From my research into domestic violence in homosexual couples, a lot of people will use this for leverage against the partner they're abusing. They'll say, 'You'll stay with me, or I'll tell everyone.'

There are websites out there with people who can help you. Empower yourself with knowledge and protect yourself.

Forgive me vehement attitude but...domestic abuse makes my blood boil.

------

Also, as a musician, Lady Gaga is utter shite. Total and utter joke. I know no other musician who takes her seriously. Just another modern god created for social control. His reported devotion towards her can only be described as 'pious'. Sick and twisted.

Also you're British! We have Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Cream, Jamiroquai, The Smiths, Prodigy...so many great acts in so many different genres.

Please, come home.

7. Nick07

I was in an abusive relationship (words, no fists). And I fought so that I could stay...so that it wouldn't end. Sick, huh?

You said it well.

8. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    A surprising amount of people who are the victims of domestic abuse will often blame themselves for what's going on, or even justify the actions of the aggressor.

@ Nick07

So happy you got out of that situation. :slight_smile:

9. Nick07

not my doing... I didn't find the strength.

10. 90swerebetter

Thank you to all of your responses you are all so kind.

Deep down I know you are all right but I just can't find that courage to leave. In his kinder moments this boy is so loving to me and kind and when I think of hurting him it breaks my heart.

What about the Gaga thing? I know it's a really petty thing to mention but I'd really like to know if I'm right or wrong about this, for future experience. Is it wrong of me to expect him to grow out of this now at 20 years old?

Also @Saturn7 I'm completely out of the closet no secret whatsoever to anyone. It's actually him who is closeted to his family.

I just don't know what to do because I'm trapped here now with this boy near to me and I can't leave until next summer (I've got a placement).

Please keep the answers coming. You're building my strength.

#10 90swerebetter, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  11. Thursby

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He's hurt you many times (emotionally and physically) so I wouldn't be too concerned about how he is feeling. You deserve better.

Just for clarification, you are stuck in Italy, not with him. You may not be able to leave the country, but that doesn't mean you have to spend the next year miserable with him. You can do it on your own, you've already proven that by moving out of the country.

Italy is a beautiful place and I'm sure you could spend the next year experiencing wonderful things. Make the best of a bad situation. Be the brave person you know you can be.(*hug*)

12. Nick07

It won't get better. He already knows that you tolerate it, and he enjoys the power he has over you. It will only get worse, because he will want more.
    He tells you what to wear, he wants you to get pierced, soon he will tell you who to befriend or break up with or start to threaten you that he will leave if you don't obey.
    He knows how to tie you to himself.

You are already there - you want to leave someone who does harm to you, and you are afraid to do it because HE will be sad. Soon you will be telling yourself that you can't leave because he needs you.

13. 90swerebetter

Thank you for your advice everyone... These words are hard to hear but true. Thank you. :/ I wish I could read 1000 messages because each one is building my confidence to leave and soon.

14. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    +1 for everything everyone else has said here

15. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You were brave to go to Italy .. That's a great thing and you get full marks.
    This guys aggression is unacceptable - but have you laid down the law about that?

A (girl) friend of mine moved to Italy and it was normal for the man to choose her meal in a restaurant without even asking her what she wanted.. Such are the minor nuances of cultural differences .. However this may explain the strong comments on piercings etc but does not excuse violence.

An option is to stay in Italy for your placement . But split with him.

Only you can decide though. Do you think you have validated his violence by your attacks on him?

16. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I bet he is. What you described is, I believe, a domestic abuse. The person you're with is not only aggressive but a very good manipulator as well. He knows pretty well when to retreat and show the "good boy" face and shower you with love and affection.
    Yes, you should leave this relationship! The sooner, the better. I know it's not easy but I hope you find the strength to leave.(*hug*)

17. Nick07

OK, grab a pen and paper and start writing. Explain to ME why 'I' have to leave that person. Be honest and write every reason you can come up with. *hug*

18. 90swerebetter

That is a very good exercise, @Nick07.

I just don't know what to do. I want to cry this person has taken so much of my spirit and my life and I'm so afraid to just have nothing. He doesn't care about me and I know this but I don't know how to leave. Every time I confront him he ends up making ME feel bad and I end up chasing him. I am so pathetic.

19. Nick07

You are not. That is unfortunately very typical. *hug*
    Not everything was bad and you have gained new experiences and learned a lot about yourself and about what you want in a relationship.
    You are more mature and stronger than you was. All you have to do is to leave so that you could use this hard gained knowledge in new relationship to make someone and YOU happy.

20. Estragon84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, 90s...

So my advice would be pretty much the same as everyone else's in here. Culture is no excuse... if my cultural backround were any indication of how I should, in theory, be as a guy, my boyfriend would have long ago run for the hills.

I totally know what you're going through... When I was about 22, I did essentially what you did: I left the US (and gave up a lot in the process) to be with a guy I met while vacationing in Spain. Long story short, we maintained a long-distance relationship when I came back home the first time around which is why I decided to go back and be with him. Things were ok for a week... then it went downhill from there. I was never physically abused, but verbally and emotionally for sure... and constantly. Being that it was my first gay relationship, I felt that maybe this was normal and that I was somehow too sensitive. Also, he was much more successful than I was at the time and made me feel as if he were the best I would ever get... this lasted for way longer than I care to admit to and eventually, emotionally, I couldn't take it any longer... it was hard, took a lot of time for to heal, many therapy sessions and a lot of self-discovery... but 6 years later, I couldn't be happier.

This wasn't the proudest or best period of my life, but it definitely taught me what a good relationship isn't and that no one should ever settle... if you feel something's not right, it probably isn't. Relationships are not easy... but by no means should they be exhausting (or one-sided), either. If you were my close friend, I'd tell you count your losses and cut ties with your boyfriend. Hell, stay in Italy or anywhere else you want, but this is not a relationship you want to spend any more time in...

On another note: The "boyfriend" I had in Spain also had a weird, almost obscene, obsession with Will and Grace and especially the Karen character and with pop music... so much so that it meddled in our relationship and I wasn constantly being ignored or even pushed aside for those two things.

I sincerely hope everything works out for you... I really do. If you ever want to talk or ask me anything, you know where to find me : )

Best of luck! (*hug*)