1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 hours...Too long?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ohioguy05, Oct 29, 2013.

1. ohioguy05

Hey everyone.
    I got out of a relationship about a month ago and it took its toll on me. I finally got back out there on an online dating site and began talking to a great guy who lived about an hour away from me. We hit it off immediately, exchanged tons of messages, and swapped phone numbers.

Now, an hour doesn't seem that far for me. I mean, I drive almost 40 mins to work every day. However, as we talked more, I found out that he lives an additional hour away from me. It's just the way that the online dating site grouped his zip code in with the wrong city.

So, now I'm here facing an hour and 45 min. drive to 2 hours for every time that we meet.
    I want to give this a try with him. We have a lot in common and he is very attractive. I'm just worried about whether 2 hours might not be too long to drive to meet each other. I'm assuming that if things were to go well, that would be meeting up on only the weekends, and just skyping or talking the rest of the time.

Does anyone have any advice? I just want to manage my expectations here a bit... I don't know exactly what to expect, seeing as how I've never dated anyone that far away before.

Thanks

2. Convoy

I mean, I guess it is if you aren't willing to make that kind of sacrifices or aren't able to do it. Things like being able to be a bit open in your relationship and defining things in a way that makes both of you comfortable and able to be functional.

I've know people who had relationships across the country or even multiple countries. While that is certainly harder (epically multi nations/whole different set of challenges) it is possible to make it work if you both want it to work.

The problem I saw with a lot of couples were that they just moved too fast when they got "together" and expected everything to be the same in the real world as it was when they chatted and did stuff online. It isn't, it's basically like knowing a new person with additional content to talk about. so the whole, jets just rent an appt/buy a house and move in together without giving any space doesn't work often or has conflicts.

Personally an hour isn't going to stop me from meeting someone worthwhile now. Sure It's a bit of hike and I'd have to arrange things differently, but I'd do it easy if it really mattered. I might be doing 2+ hour drives just to hang out with people I get along with soon, just because I don't know anyone really local that I like to talk with.

Sure it's money and cars and transportation, which is difficult now (I have been working on my car for the last month and it really won't be ready for HW trips until latter next week; + work paying for stuff). But eventually I feel it's worth the distance if it's someone you really care about. Things are different of course, but what isn't in this day and age.