1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing With Religious Family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by DatChickBassist, Oct 29, 2013.

1. DatChickBassist

Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm the only atheist in a conservative African American Pentecostal Christian household. I came out as an atheist a year ago in hopes that I wouldn't have to hide it anymore. Ever since then it's just been more difficult. My brother rolls his eyes at me, my mother tells me everything in my life is going to go wrong since I abandoned God, and my dad tells me I'm going to hell. I've tried being respectful but it doesn't get me anywhere. My mom constantly says how atheists have no morals in front of me and if I try to defend myself she'll threaten to ground me and cut me off from my friends. I've been bullied into silence and I can't take much more of this :frowning2:

2. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well first off, all those comments about things getting worse and going to hell are just empty threats. Also just because someone is an atheist doesn't mean they lack morals or anything like that.

Do you have any family outside of home who you know accept you? Any friends or people you trust who you can talk to about the situation at home?

3. Mr Bubbles

I'm sorry to hear your having to go through that. Keep up hope though, you'll be able to move out on your own and have a fresh start soon enough. Sometimes it can take several years for parents to come around and accept the fact that you have different beliefs. It sounds to me though that you should probably move out as soon as you can. Depression can be dangerous so as soon as you can get out of the situation that's causing it the better.

P.S. I've got a similar situation as well; my parents are extremely religious but I haven't told them I'm an atheist yet because I know that they would cut me off completely.

-Max

4. DatChickBassist

Out Status:
    All but family
    I can talk to most of my friends about my situation at home. As for other family members the only ones who actually accept me are my younger sister and a cousin who lives out of state. Everyone else just agrees with my parents and brother.

It's really sad parents are willing to let something like religion get in the way of a relationship with their kids.