1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broke-up with BF

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ant07, Oct 30, 2013.

1. ant07

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello all! I'm fairly new to the forum,

I recently broke-up with my boyfriend of 1 year, this was my first relationship ever and it was hard for me to go my separate way. I understand that I have to move on, but in my situation it's very difficult. You see, we met at work and we both still work there. Without going into specifics, I work upstairs and he works downstairs. Our jobs are totally separate but there are times we might see each other. How do I deal with this? do I say anything or ignore? Any help is appreciated.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just be nice to him but keep some degree of detachment; don't ignore him because you likely can't ignore him. Try to think of him as another coworker you knew well in the past but now have drifted apart; you might even ask him what he considers appropriate contact.

3. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can still be friendly co-workers. Ignoring him would be pretty rude in my opinion. You shared a year of your life together, you don't have to be complete strangers just because you aren't romantically involved. Even if you don't really have any contact outside of work anymore, you can still interact in the workplace like you did before you dated. There's no need to make it awkward.

4. LuckyDalek

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I always followed having a line between work and life. It will be hard sometimes, but just be professional. Take the time to grieve your loss and keep trying to move forward. I hope the best for both of you.