1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to explain...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by LuckyDalek, Oct 30, 2013.

1. LuckyDalek

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I have searched as best I could for a post that covers my topic, but I am useless at finding things on forums.

My issue is, I am out to my family, but my dad is having trouble understanding. He still loves me and wants a relationship with me, but he is from small town church life. He has never even met a gay person, that he knows of. His only exposure is from the telly and media. Every facet of this situation is a new experience to him.

I see the confusion in his eyes and it hurts me that I can't explain things better. I am having trouble explaining to him, that this isn't a choice and I am still me. I'm not even sure he knows what being gay means. I am just thankful for not being disowned. I just want to ease some of his discomfort.

My greatest hurdle is that he lives 600 miles from me. So we only get to see each other a few times a year. He is technologically illiterate and our work schedules don't let us talk over the phone much. What communication we have is precious and short.

Any advice or personal stories will be much appreciated... Thank you

2. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hey there!

You are unique and so are your issues. You did well to create a thread for yourself. You deserve help on an individual basis. :slight_smile:

I can only offer you one perspective, that of a straight person, but I hope it can help you to perhaps see his perspective.

First of all, I think you're in a good position. You still love each other, clearly, and you both value your relationship. This is great.

You are both confused at the moment. You because you're still going through this damned thing, and him because his feelings toward you challenges how he's been raised. That's no easy thing.

In many ways, it's good that he's not met any other gay people. You know why? Because not all gay people are nice. Please don't take offense. Everyone is human and you get nasty, petty people from all aspects of life - including the LGBT community.

So, the fact that the only gay person he knows is someone he loves more than himself is a good thing.

Try to tell him to ignore reports about gay issues on the media. As a straight person, let me tell you, they do not portray you in a good light. It's a battle of two extremes. Right-wing hate rhetoric, and the over saturation from idiots turning real issues into a political agenda/religion. A lot of people wonder why a group which represents 10-15% of the population dominates the news when people are being killed, bombed illegally and starving. Avoid the media. All that matters is his relationship with you.

Fatherhood:
    Being a father is something that neither of us can comprehend. I admit this. However, I remember my brother when he and his wife has their first child. We were outside having a crafty ciggy in the car. My brother was panicked. He didn't know what to do. Then he went in during the actual labour. When he came out, he was a different person. He was calm, serene and had a purpose in his life like I've never seen before.

Maybe other dads on this forum can chime in to talk about how important this link can be is.

All I know is that, he probably loves you more than we can currently know.

Distance/Communication:
    This is a tricky one...but I have an idea. Your father comes from a small town, and could be considered old fashioned.
    I think you can use this to your advantage.

Write him a letter. A physical letter.

I've gotten nice emails, yes, but when you receive a letter than someone has taken the time and effort to write themselves...it's made me cry before. There's something about the physical act of it which makes it so much more meaningful that packets of bloody data.

If you think this relationship is worth pursuing, then it's worth the effort right? Trust me, the letter doesn't have to be done with beautiful cursive handwriting or written without a spelling mistake or crossing out. It's an extremely refined and civilized method of communication to which email and modern email etiquette cannot compare.

So figure out your confusion and his confusion together. I really think what he feels about gays is irrelevant. If you two have a meaningful relationship, you have more than any label can possibly give you.

I'm sorry if I said something which could be offensive. I am just being honest. Please try to understand how illogical it would be to try and help a gay person if I hated gay people.

I hope I could help, or at least give you some good ideas :slight_smile:

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in a very similar situation. I'm bi, and my parents have no concept of what that means. I tried explaining it every way I could, but it only helped a little. We talk a lot and they still love me, but we haven't really talked about my sexuality or coming out.

Here's my take on it: I have their love but not their understanding. Time and dialogue will take care of the understanding part, but as long as the love part is there, things will be ok in the end.

Hope this helps

4. LuckyDalek

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First, I must say, thank you for taking your time and responding.

I had to read your response a few times for it to fully sink in. Your perspective is very helpful. I am going to take your advice, and some of what you said, and write an actual written letter to my dad. I feel that would be the best way.

We do love each other. I am so thankful of that. Your response has shown me that we both need to see the perspective of the other side.

About being offensive. I feel that there is nothing offensive in your response, so no need to worry. You are offering your perspective and opinion on a situation, which is a difficult situation to begin with. Even if there was 'offense,' sometimes, it's a necessity to make progress. Nothing is every 'easy.'

Thank you again. Hope to see you around the forum. Your advice is given well and well received. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 31st Oct 2013 at 10:31 AM ----------

I am glad I am not the only one, unfortunately. (unfortunately, because others must go through it) Every word you have said is true. I feel that thinking in this way will help me on an internal level. I need to work on my own emotions towards this situation. I know the love is there, I see it in so many ways, but sometimes I get scared and irrational thought takes over. I have lost many family members, either by death or by being disowned. I don't want to lose my dad.

Time will tell. Thank you for your response. :slight_smile: