1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you guys cope with homophobic parents?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by WeAreYoung, Oct 31, 2013.

1. WeAreYoung

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've been out to my parents since last December which didn't go so well. My dad chooses to ignore anything to do with my sexuality now, if i so much as hint that i find a girl attractive he wont acknowledge it in any way. He will still shake his head at anything to do with homosexuality on the TV or whatever, right in front of me.
    My mum tries to show shes ok with it, but its a feeble attempt. Especially today when we were talking about a singer (Boy George) losing weight. I asked if he was the pedophile because I got confused between him and Gary Glitter and she replied "No. I think he's gay but he's not a pedophile." Some people may think I'm being over sensitive to that, but to me it just felt like she was putting homosexuality in a similar category to pedophilia. I think it bothered me so much because when I first came out she made me feel perverted, by claiming my own auntie might feel uncomfortable sharing a bedroom with me on holiday.

I know im lucky they haven't disowned me and still love me, but it hurts deeply when i feel like they don't accept (and maybe never will) a part of me.

Do any of you have similar experiences, or any useful advice? Thank you :slight_smile:

2. gshemesh

gshemesh Guest

Out Status:
    All but family
    thanks for the share

-ghemesh

3. Thursby

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Please don't feel you have to be grateful they didn't disown you. You have done nothing wrong. You shared very personal information with them because you respect them and want their acceptance. You are their child, you deserve their love and compassion.

It seems that for right now they are refusing to accept your sexuality, but you can't allow that to affect you. Things can always change though.

What you need to remember is that their ignorance is their problem, so don't carry that burden for them. As long as you are okay with yourself that's all that matters. Be happy and proud. Don't ever hold back who you are to appease the insecurities of others.

#3 Thursby, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My parents don't know that i'm bisexual but sometimes i try to ignore it their homophobic comments it's easier said than done .

5. iamsafeandsound

I know the feeling. I'm bi and both my siblings know. I think my dad suspects it but my mom certainly has no idea. They make homophobic comments sometimes and it really sucks, but I suppose I can't really say too much about how it hurts though because I'm not out.
    Still, I'm proud of who I am. Just because I like dudes AND chicks doesn't make me a bad person. I'm happy to be who I am. I know eventually my parents will accept it when I come out. The best you can do is hope that one day they'll see that's who you are. I'm sure they love you just the same. ^^

6. Californiacoast

Something that helped me with my parents Homophobia was a little, tiny book called "The Four Agreements". One of the four agreements is "don't take anything personally." Once I fully internalized this agreement, I stopped seeking their approval and trying to change them. I just loved them, and any unwelcome comments or attitudes I chalked up to either their ignorance or need for work in that area. I am more peaceful now, and they notice the change and have responded very positively. But even if they hadn't, I was and am resolved to not take it personally.

7. WeAreYoung

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you peoples for your support, will try take on board all of your advice :slight_smile: Hope it gets easier for every one else in similar situations soon as well! :thumbsup: Means a lot (*hug*)