1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is so annoying

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by mickey1101, Nov 1, 2013.

1. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This may just be a rant but I kinda need to rant right now:/
    I'm suffocating, it ridiculous. It seems like I can't live my life without my mother shoving religion down my throat. Today she went through my songs and deleted ever single one that, "wasn't of God." (Which was basically all of them)And then she she went on this rant about how my friends "spirits" are making me act out. She brought up the time she found me in this site and told me to stop hanging out with "those" types of people (which needless to say was offensive) and to top it all off she told me to stop drawing the type of stuff I draw cause it, " glorifies death." I don't know what to do really she said she's going to start monitering what i watch/read/draw/listen to and go on to "protect me " from" Satan's evil plan to ruin my life" I can't deal, this is going into major controlling mode.
    I don't really know if I'm looking for advice or anything but at this point I don't know what to do...

2. StephenSC

I hope if nothing else your rant helped you feel better.... we all need to vent at times. It's amazing how much just letting our feelings out can help.

Not sure this will be of any help to you but I will let you know anyway. I only know, personally, 2 openly gay guys. Both of which have had religion be a major part of their life.

The first was a friend from high-school. He came out about a year after school, he was a very disillusioned Christian, upset with the way homosexuals were treated by many Christian groups and individuals (His family included). Since coming out his family has become more tolerant , but the main things that's happened is he has become more involved with pro-gay sections of the religious community.

Maybe you can be more involved in your/your mothers religion, with a group(s) that supports your views? It *may* show your mother that you are interested in the ideals as a whole but people can follow them in different ways. Obviously you'd actually want to follow the religion to do this.

My other friend, (he's the one who's made me question myself, he's so amazing! Sorry off topic) was raised in an extremely religious family, he took the other route from my first friend. He's sort of become anti-religious because of all the hate it generated towards him and others when he was "growing up" (Plus many other reasons I will not go into to) The only way he was able to deal with his family was, as bad as it sounds, to let them think they've won.

A lot of religious people are very stuck in their ways, the ideals they follow are rooted into the very core of who they are. Trying to argue with them, get them to change or even get them to accept something they don't like is near on impossible. He learnt just to smile and nod, but always remember who he was and be himself when they were out of the room, so to speak. (That being said, slowly his mother has become more open to the idea, but isn't 100% with it yet. He's 26)

Obviously there is no right or wrong way to handle a situation like that, I just wanted to share those 2 stories of people who are now very happy and sure of who they are that took completely opposite paths. There are heaps of ways you can go about dealing with your family in such matters, it will just take time for you to decide what's best/right for you. All the best with whatever you decide to do, I hope you never let other peoples views lessen your opinion of yourself.