1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not So Very Happy Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by thedreamwatch, Nov 2, 2013.

1. My dad asked a while ago if my younger brother, his girlfriend and my partner and I were coming to Thanksgiving. All of us will be going.

The problem is that my dad apparently invited us to have Thanksgiving at his friend and coworker's place along with like 20 other people I have never even met.

And the problem is that it's going to be awful.

I am an introvert so spending lots of time with lots of people (especially people I am not comfortable around) is absolutely exhausting, I have anxiety about being in other people's homes, and the only people I do know (aside from the aforementioned family members/partners) are people that I feel uncomfortable around for reasons completely aside from my introversion/anxiety combo.

I don't want to go, I don't want to chat with all the attendees on the FB event page to see what I should bring, I don't want to fucking deal with it.

But I can't tell my dad I'm not coming. I can't. I have already committed to going, even though I feel a bit mislead. Because I never get to see my dad anymore and I miss him. Because I am trying to not be an ungrateful wretch of an offspring. And because having to have the conversation about why I'm not coming with the people who already are planning on me coming is probably even worse than just going.

I texted my dad that I didn't really want to deal with the whole Facebook event thing and now I think he's totally pissed off at me, but I am already hella stressed about money and school and all of my other issues so I don't know how many of my own personal social boundaries I can cross for other people right now without completely losing my mind.

I guess I am posting this because I don't know what to do and any advice would be appreciated, even if it's advice on how to just power through this without snapping. :help:

2. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would go just for your family. Grab a seat at the end of the table that way you can make a quick get away if possible. And if possible have your brother, his girl friend or partner across from you so that you can focus on them and just them.

If it gets overwhelming go outside for a smoke break, even if you don't smoke. Just outside and caught your breath. You can also ask your Dad to go outside with you so that you too can have some alone time. Like you said you two do not get to see each other that often and he might jump at a chance to spend some time together.