1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A relationship between a 16 years old and a 19 years old, wrong?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by peaceofmind, Nov 5, 2013.

1. peaceofmind

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello,

I've always been uncomfortable near people the same age as me, probably because they don't sound so mature to me. I get along better with older people. Anyways, I met this guy, he is 19 and I'm 16. It's like the thing between us is slowly being a relationship. But is it weird? I mean, is the age gap too big? That's the only thing makes me worry. Other than that, he's so fun, we have fun when we meet, he's cute, kind, etc.

What do you think about the age gap?

2. drakkarlucifer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It does not sound as bad as 15 and 18. My parents are a 6 year difference and my grandparents 11 so it's really not that bad. It only sounds bad but once you hit 18 pft your gonna think back and say hey this is not bad. I think its better to date older people since they have a chance to be able to teach you something.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The age gap isn't a problem particularly, it's only three years. What is a problem is that in a significant amount of places it makes the 19 year old a criminal...

4. Flutters1980

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that you may be under the age of consent right now in some places.

5. peaceofmind

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The age difference between my parents is 9 and my mom was 18 when she got married (they're divorced now). The biggest problem for me would be him feeling uncomfortable about the age gap. I personally don't feel uncomfortable. We wouldn't look weird as a couple. I mean, both mentally and physically. It can even be told that I look older than him. Or our personalities, they aren't so different. But the age gap is still there and nothing will change it.

By the way, I believe laws don't make this thing normal or abnormal. In some countries, age of consent is 13 and in some countries, it's 18. In Turkey (it's where I'm from), it's 18 but if I'm older than 15 and have sex with someone older than 18, as long as age gap is less than 5, it doesn't cause a problem unless I make a complaint as the young one. If the age gap is more than 5, then it's a crime without need of a complaint. Anyway, I find some laws pretty silly. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#5 peaceofmind, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  6. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the gap is fine .. providing the law in your country allows things to go further.

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well if it isn't against the law then it's not too bad.

As the others have said though, just remember the difference in age also brings with it different stages in life.

My one and only girlfriend was 21 when I dated her (I was 16) and it only occurs to me now how little I was ready for the kind of things she wanted. Things like going to the pub or a movie I was too young to get into, or more serious stuff like sex or proper relationship things...maybe you're super mature, I don't know, just something to be aware of.

8. Hexagon

I think its alright. Just use proper judgement, and don't let you get pushed into anything. And if you feel like he is pushing you too much, then take care. I'm not saying all older guys are automatically going to take advantage of you, just that it does happen, so be aware of that. And apart from that, go for it, really.