1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handling feelings for friends (who may be straight)

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Miss Loopy, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Miss Loopy

Okay, so if any of you read my thread last month, I wasn't completely over my ex. A month has passed, I feel a lot better about the situation. However, in overcoming that situation, I have found myself in yet another one. In case some of you haven't noticed in my posts, my feelings emotionally and for people can be rather erratic. It's not because I'm bi, it's more the bipolar coming out in me (so technically because I'm bi, yeah yeah).

Basically, I've started to find myself finding attraction to a best friend. I haven't actually noticed it before, but I can't tell if I've been suppressing it or not, so for the time being, we'll call it a three week crush.

I often makes jokes with her and she always joins in, and I can't tell if she has any form of feelings for me, I don't want to kid myself but I have doubts. She's really touchy with me and likes being with and around me a lot. I'm the only person she's really comfortable with at college. The big thing that makes me doubt is she's Arabic and comes from a Muslim family (she is not Muslim herself, but her little sister is, who is also in college). It's just, everytime I get her to talk about stuff like that, she's like "Oh yeah, I'm not allowed to be with girls", "I've never liked any boy ever", "girls are so attractive..." etc etc.

I am hoping it's a passing crush, but I dunno. The thing is, even if she was bi or lesbian, we couldn't even have anything because her parents would probably murder her. Plus I'm the only person she really trusts, and in past experience, dating your best friend does not end well - At all!

Any suggestions are more than welcome!! I'm not quite sure what to do/how to handle it.

Thanks

2. ASAP Deakey

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no idea how to help you man - I've always steered clear of confessing any of those kinds of feelings to best friends for that exact reason.

I'm kind of curious though... on the whole, is it better to come on to your best friend or worse? I always get this paranoid feeling that the relationship would be better and that everyone else will get over how weird it is after a while...

3. Miss Loopy

She knows I'm bi, she's pretty fine with it. A lot better to tell them imo. If they can't accept you they're not worth your time!

4. ASAP Deakey

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah that goes without saying. I meant, is it better to come ON to your best friend. Not OUT.

As in, do you reckon it's too much baggage to start a relationship/friends with benefits with your best friend or not? And what about if you all belong to a close friendship group?

5. Miss Loopy

Update: 3 weeks is now 4 months, still not grown a pair and bit the bullet as too scared to lose her as a mate.