1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great. My family thinks that being LGBT is a choice/phase AND by birth

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MatthewJS, Nov 7, 2013.

1. MatthewJS

My family thinks that lgbt is a choice, phase, and/or birth. My eldest sister says it is a choice, could be a phase, or by birth. My mom said she "did" like girls, but doesn't anymore. My second oldest sister said that she "used to" be bi. My cousin, A (female), was with a girl and now she is with a guy abs my family thinks she is "straight again." I don't know how to convince my family LGBT isn't a choice nor a phase.

2. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As long as they are supportive of you then I wouldn't bother trying to convince them other wise yeah it can be frustrating but as long as they are not judging you for being gay then let it slide and focus on just being you and finding your own happiness. Who knows maybe after a while they will come around.

3. MatthewJS

They are supportive, but my oldest sister thinks I can be straight.

4. blond

Yeah my oldest sister is like that too. She thinks i'm gay because i couldn't get a girlfriend and i was like what the hell really?

5. apostrophied

Don't bother, just get a boyfriend. Actions speak louder than words, they say!

Lol, but in all seriousness, people who don't want to believe something won't believe it. Just count yourself lucky that they seem relatively accepting, and they'll eventually have to come to the obvious conclusion.

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well...at least they have all the bases covered! It's like a multiple-choice exam, you can hit ring a loud bell when they get the answer wrong.

7. fortheloveoflez

Really? So they think you can automatically turn off who you're in love with? Just think about how many movies would have not been the same if that were true....Titanic, the Notebook... etc. Next time you are walking down the street point to some random people and tell your sister to develop a crush on every single person you point out. It doesn't work like that right? No, it doesn't.

And I think it's important to note that every one is different. Ok, maybe your family members had a "phase" it doesn't mean you do. Heck, how do they know that maybe their now sudden lack of interest in women is due to societal programming/rejection? Social rejection is a HUGE reason why people would try to repress their natural feelings. Think about it....most women hate shaving their legs....how many of them decide to just stop doing it because they internally really don't want to? Not that many. Most people take the socially acceptable route despite how they actually feel.

8. GirlWhoWaited

I'd just say, "Sure, guys. It's a phase." And then stay in said "phase" forever. :wink: