1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family member is anti-gay

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by BiNick, Nov 7, 2013.

1. BiNick

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I have this family member who is anti-gay and hit hurts everytime he says something about it.

I want him to know that I'm bi but I don't know how he is going to react.

2. LD579

Do your other family members know? If so, are they supportive? How often do you see this person?

3. hiddenxrainbows

I know how you feel because I'm in the same boat. My dad's super homophobic, and he says stuff against gay people a lot. It sucks having to sit there and listen to it. Sometimes, it makes me wanna scream so bad that I'm bi and he needs to just shut up and stop being so hateful. But even though I've known for two and a half years that I'm bi and I moved out a while ago, I still haven't gotten the guts to tell him. I guess I'm afraid of him rejecting me and wanting nothing to do with me.

But this isn't about me. Sorry for ranting like that. But yeah, I'm in the same boat. And it's hard. If you see them all the time, it can hurt even more to hear stuff like that. And if you feel that it hurts too much to hear stuff like that any longer, then maybe try telling them. But if you don't see them a lot, it might not be worth telling them. On the other hand, if you don't see them as often, it might be easier to tell them. Either way, it's just up to if you feel you can't hide it from them anymore and if you feel that you can trust them. But if you do tell them, be prepared for them to freak a bit, even if it's just a little at first. Hopefully if you tell them tho, they come around and accept you just as you are.

And if you ever need anyone to talk to, you can always message me or something, if you'd want to. I know how hard stuff like this can be.

4. BiNick

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    yes my other family members know but its like I told them and its like they completely forgot and went on with their lives so no support.

And I live with this person.

5. Sunshine Cries

Oh, man. I know where you are.

With the family members that know: they probably have a "not in my backyard" attitude to LGBT rights. They saw it from a distance, and supported it in theory, but never expected, in your case, their son/brother/cousin/nephew/however they relate to you, to be gay or bi. So, they've decided that indifference is the best way to be accepting, because that registers in their mind as "we're not making their sexuality a problem! That's total support, right?"
    I can't help you, but I can at least show you where they're coming from.

As for the raging homophobe you live with...
    I have a member of the family like this, but I don't live with them (instead, they live on the same street). Know that there's a distinct reason (or there are reasons) for why they aren't accepting. The best thing to do, if you want them to be accepting, is start trying to root their homophobia, and then experiment with pulling that root. Just try and prove them wrong with every point they make against LGBT Rights, and then start to teach them that gay, lesbian, and bi people aren't bad.
    Why do I believe this works? It did on my brother. He's now one of my best allies. :slight_smile:

Best of wishes, Bi Nick.
    ~Sunshine