1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

straight friends and sleepovers? Best friend not "allowed" over alone?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by applepie, Nov 8, 2013.

1. applepie

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tomorrow night is my 17th birthday party, i'm having my two best friends (Kacie and Sarah) spend the night. They're both straight and know that I'm not. This is the first sleepover i'm having since I came out (just recently).. how do I make them comfortable?

I wasn't too worried, but Kacie's boyfriend messaged me on facebook asking if I had a crush on her. I told him I didn't but he still said she wasn't allowed to spend the night at my house alone...

Well Kacie and Sarah are the only ones who could come, and Sarah said she might not be able to stay all night. Kacie seemed okay with it and seems really excited anyway. What do I do if he gets mad at me?

Back to the original question though, what's the protocol for NOT seeming lesbian-ish at an all-girls sleepover? I don't want to freak them out.

2. Gen

Gen

I'm more concerned with the fact that Kacie's boyfriend thinks that he has the authority to tell her what she is and is not allowed to do.

Regardless, I would just go about the situation as you would have before you came out. If you continue to only show interest in them platonically, then they will eventually come to the understanding that nothing has change between their dynamic with you as a friend.

3. Rainbow Girl

That's one of the reason I'm reluctant to tell my parents because I'm afraid that since they're very protective they wouldn't let me have sleepovers anymore. Anyways, talk to them. It shouldn't any different than before you came out. My best friend told her mom I was bi (I used to think was bi before I realized I was gay) and her mom still lets her sleepover at my house.

4. Sunshine Cries

First of all? Tell Kacie's boyfriend that he doesn't get to control anyone's actions but himself. (What a dick for saying that.)

Just act natural. If Kacie and Sarah are your two best friends, and you're out to them, they'll be comfortable with you. I'm in basically the same situation (Even though both of my best friends are single). They'll be as comfortable with you as they were before you came out. Trust me :slight_smile:

As for Kacie's boyfriend? If he thinks you're going to "turn his girlfriend gay" or if he's trying to control her, he doesn't sound worth the time.

Have fun and a happy, happy birthday!
    ~Sunshine