1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure what to make of constant eye contact

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by pgame311, Nov 11, 2013.

1. pgame311

pgame311 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So there's a guy I'm friendly with and I assume he's gay or at least closeted, but I've never really pried. When I'm in the library or at lunch, I admittedly steal the occasional glance. However, here's the tricky part. Whenever I look up, we end up making eye contact... Neither one of us ever makes fun of the other or mentions it to the people we're sitting with at the time. Just to reiterate, I'm not staring and he looks up—whenever I'm start to stare, he's staring back. Is it just a coincidence or is this like a thing? Thanks!

2. Skov

Usually when I make eye contact with someone who I don't usually talk to, it's because I find them attractive or I see that they are looking at me

3. Stoccata

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hmm.

Maybe it's just me, but I make eye contact with everyone, and I'm usually the last person to look away. I know some people feel a bit awkward when they look other people in the eye, but it just doesn't bother me for some reason.

Now, if he seems to be staring at you a lot, that's different. It could mean he just wants to know a bit more about you. It could be he wants to be your friend. It could mean something more. It could also be he's wondering what your reaction would be if he chucked a brick at your head; who knows?! :icon_wink

Try to sit next to him if he's alone or something; start a conversation with him. You could always just sit down next to him and say something along the lines of "Hey, I noticed you keep looking over at me, do you want to talk about something?"

4. Thursby

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mentioning the staring would be a BAD idea. If he was that straightforward, he would have already made an attempt to talk to you.

While I don't think talking to him is a bad idea, the timing and context is crucial here. "Jumping the gun" so to speak could be disastrous. For example, you don't want to assume he's interested (romantically) in you, only to find out he was looking at someone behind you the whole time.

Do you have any classes with him? Classes already have a built-in camaraderie environment so it would be very easy to become his friend.

If not, the library is probably the better option to make your move. Get to know him one on one first. A public environment like a cafeteria could scare away any progress (it would scare me! lol)

If he is interested, it won't be too difficult to start a conversation and get to know him, because he will be relieved that you made the attempt. On the other hand, if he appears to be standoffish or distant you may have just been reading to much into a casual glance.

#4 Thursby, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  5. kenm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yep, don't mention it to him. That would probably be very difficult anyway!

Just find that time where it's appropriate to sit next to, be parters with, work with him - whatever really that can start a conversation. It seems like he wants to be friends or more anyway so what do you have to lose? Just try not to think about it too much, as difficult as it is :slight_smile:

6. pgame311

pgame311 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Oh, hey so I think I may have miscommunicated the fact that this is a friend I spend a decent chunk of time with. I mean we were sitting together tonight and he put his arm around me (just hanging out, but idk many straight friends who do that) and mentioned that our group (we were doing a group project) was the best looking in the class, then laughed just to make sure it didn't sound too narcissistic. What I guess I mean is, if I have a friend who I constantly catch making eye-contact, should I read into it or just take it as a coincidence?

7. Stoccata

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hmm. That's a bit more tricky then. Have you noticed him staring at any of your other friends, or is it just you? Hard to say really; he could just think of you as a very close friend.

@Thursby, I have to disagree regarding letting the person know that you noticed them staring. Some people are just a bit shy about starting conversations with people they don't know terribly well. Heck, one of my best friends used to stare in my direction quite frequently. This was several years ago, and neither of us knew the other particularly well. We'd both be reading a book and I'd see him look up at me out of the corner of my eye, and then glance back down after a minute or so. After a couple days of noticing him doing this I eventually said "Finished staring?" He looked a bit startled, so I followed up with "what are you reading", and then walked over and sat next to him.

I agree with you that timing and context is important, but I don't really see a problem with letting the person know you noticed.

8. pgame311

pgame311 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Just me. I mean I've caught him checking out other guys, but even when we talk one to one, our eyes are basically locked the entire time. When we're not just one-to-one we catch each other looking at one another constantly—like even to the point of making eye-contact through my computer in class. He also rested his arm around my shoulder tonight...

9. Stoccata

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ok....does he know you're bisexual?

You could also ask if he's gay/bi, though I imagine it's not particularly likely he'll admit to it if he is, especially if you haven't talked about that sort of thing before. It would probably make things somewhat awkward between you for a bit as well. But hey, I don't know the dude, so maybe I'm completely wrong.

Again though, it could just be that he's particularly friendly with you. Physical contact and eye contact during a conversation isn't anything out of the "ordinary", but constantly staring at you is a bit odd.

10. Thursby

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's okay to bring it up to them, but be careful how you word it. For example, what you said to your friend could easily be interpreted as rude or candid. If it's a close friend it wouldn't seem so harsh. But saying that to anyone else would come across as insensitive.

Back to the situation at hand, pgame311 you might want to tell him you are bisexual first. Telling him about your feelings right away might make him feel overwhelmed.

By telling him about yourself, you are basically letting him know that he can open up to you as well. Outright asking someone about their orientation is a very personal thing, so let him decide if he wants to tell you. If he is gay or bisexual, your disclosure will be a red flag that he shouldn't be afraid to reciprocate.

#10 Thursby, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013