1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is it appropriate to ask a woman on a date?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by nikidion, Nov 11, 2013.

1. nikidion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, for one - the woman I'm interested in is gay, that's sure.

But the problem is that we hardly ever meet and when we do, due to work dynamics cannot talk for more than 1-2 minutes (if even that much). We've talked maybe 4-5 times during more than whole 2 months. So yeah - we barely know each other etc. However, I'm quite fascinated by her and judging by the way she speaks to me and things she's saying to me, she's not completely indifferent towards me either.

I've never been in a situation like this before, so I'm wondering. Would it be appropriate for me to invite her to a cafe? Or are we too much of strangers for this? I'd go for it if she was my age, but she's about 5 years older as far as I can tell (I'm 22) and that makes everything quite confusing. Can it ever be appropriate for me to ask her out, considering our age difference?

What sayeth thou?

2. GayNerd

Hi there. (*hug*)

5 years isn't a big age difference. :wink:

Now, if you start going to a cafe as just friends, it would be alright. But don't do anything romantic too fast. Just be like it's going with a friend at first.
    I hope this helps. :smilewave

3. Randomette

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not an expert on lesbian relationships.

But in this case, I don't think your answer strays too far from the fundamentals of all relationships, since you know she's into women. I would just be open about it and ask her. Easier said than done, I know. But if you want something to happen at all, it sounds like you're going to need to make it happen. Random chance isn't going to lead to anything, with how little you see her.

I wouldn't necessarily use the word date or anything. Just ask her if she wants to get coffee and chat sometime. Keep it low key. It sounds like you don't know that much about her, so it's probably good to get some alone time with each other to get a feel for who the other person is.

But if she's forward enough to ask something like, "Is this a date?" I'd say yes. Again, honesty can't hurt, though I wouldn't say too much. If you feel like you need to explain, just say you find her interesting and that you'd like to get to know her a little better.

4. nikidion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for the answers, guys.

I'm going to give it a week or two more and then ask her out. Probably. If I get the nerve. Somehow the age difference is making me feel inadequate.

Randomette, tell me more - what would it be like for you if someone my age asked you on a date? I need more information :grin: