1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hm... I'm not really sure how I feel about this...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by AnonymousForeve, Nov 11, 2013.

1. AnonymousForeve

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Earlier today, I had a pretty normal chat with my sister (mostly typical stuff, like "How was work?", "When should we start shopping for Christmas?", "Did you handle the problem you were having with that person you don't like?", etc.)... Up until she brought up her gay friend. She basically talked about how much fun it was to hang out with a guy that's so feminine and stuff. That part of the conversation didn't make me feel weird, but it's what followed that did. She essentially said that gay guys are so cool because they're all *insert long list of stereotypes that the media constantly portrays here*.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not offended (it's not like she meant to say anything offensive, especially considering she doesn't know that I'm gay), but it just feels sort of... I don't know... Funny? I mean, I could kind of imagine it as a comedy skit, lol.

Still, it worries me that the majority of our society, both gay accepting and homophobic (and even some gay people themselves, if they fit the stereotypes), haven't figured out that not everything they see on TV is accurate to real life. People's lack of ability to take what they see on TV with a grain of salt causes many problems, but looking specifically at what it does to the gay community, it's pretty harmful.

On one hand, you've got plenty of guys that are gay or bi that think they're straight because society has told them that being gay has to do with how you act, talk, dress, and your interests/hobbies, not just having a sexual attraction towards the same sex. On the other, you've got guys who have realized they're gay and try to change themselves so that they fit the stereotype. Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly fine for a guy to be feminine and flamboyant, but a guy shouldn't feel obligated to turn himself into something he's not in order to fit society's narrow view of what he "should be". I've seen these kind of things happen in both real life and on the web numerous times and I find it kind of concerning.

I dunno, what do you guys think? :confused:

2. Saint Otaku

Well, at least it's more amusing than having your entire family constantly degrade homosexuality, disliking even movies or shows for even having a gay minor character. (-_-)

3. kenm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As bad as it seems to be for homosexuality, it does appear everywhere. Just in these cases it has such a big impact on people's lives in comparison to other stereotypes.

For example, the tough guy is associated with sports, young-looking guy might be talked down to, hot girl wolf whistled etc. but none of these have much affect on their day-to-day lives. Being gay effects almost everything, and some people take it as a way of life and act that way to "fit in" like you said. That's another thing that happens everywhere, ALL the time (people trying to fit in), but it's just not prominent enough to notice.

A much larger stereotype does exist around being gay though. I think most people believe it when they don't know any/many gay people. I'm not one for any person who is not themselves and acts differently for any reason :slight_smile: