1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you gay and so is your sibling?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by forbginva, Nov 12, 2013.

1. forbginva

Hello everyone,

I am really interested in talking to people who are gay, lesbian, bi, trans, queer who also have a sibling who is, as well. Does this describe anyone out there? Would love to hear your stories...

Share below or in a message, if you can.

:slight_smile:

2. fleetingwells

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, I have a sister who is a lesbian/bisexual. It's funny cuz she came out a while before I did and I didn't really think I was one for sure until I was 16, and even before then I had a hint that I was probably not really into guys for a long time. I think some people will probably think that having a sibling might make you wonder about your own sexuality, but for me that wasn't the case at all. I still had to figure it out on my own--especially since me and my sister weren't and still aren't exactly close to each other.

I'm guessing it's different for some siblings. I know that I can at least share my love for women with her comfortably, even though we don't talk much about us being gay. We're just really casual about it :slight_smile:

3. sammy1

I'm the only one In my family who is lgbt...I once heard my brother mention that my uncle was gay but he's been dead since I was 5 which it would have been nice to have someone in the family to talk to about it also I wouldnt feel so alone all the time

4. lovely lesbian

Far as I no I'm the only one in my family that is gay

5. forbginva

---------- Post added 13th Nov 2013 at 08:24 AM ----------

[/COLOR]

thanks so much for your reply! are you both out to your parents or other family members? how did they respond?

6. theirmom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My 16 year old son is bi. My 11 year old (son) is just now coming out as gay. That's why I am here... I'm their mom and I want to be supportive, but neither will talk to me about it....
    ( I also have two straight kids -- my two oldest, 22 and 19)

7. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom has two sisters that were originally born as her brothers. Both of my Aunts are fully transitioned into women and they both have their own families. I have two cousins that are gay as well.

8. Fiddledeedee

Welcome to EC, theirmom!

Myself, I'm the youngest of three. My sister, the eldest, is transgender and bisexual, and as for my brother there's no telling; he really doesn't care about sexuality. I'm out to my mother (who didn't and doesn't like it) and brother (who didn't and doesn't care), but my sister isn't. I hate to think of what Mum's reaction will be upon learning she's trans*.

9. lostboy429

I have three cousins who are as gay as a rainbow. My sister is hetero-flexible(shes straight but has had a few lesbian encounters). And my brother hints that he like guys but denies that hes gay, so he could be bi

10. apostrophied

I'm the only one, unless you count my mom's cousin who apparently is gay.

11. Louise1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My sister (who is 20) is openly gay and came out at 16. She has been with her girlfriend for 2 years now and the entire family (including grandparents, uncles, aunties, cousins) are absolutely fine with it - I mean it's not even an issue. Her GF is always involved in family activities.

I have only recently come to terms with my own sexuality and so far my parents don't know. I don't think they would have an issue with it but it may be quite a shock that both daughters are gay....

Also I am 29 so it has taken me a lot longer than my sister to come out and I had a long relationship with a man so that may add to the confusion. Am certainly planning to tell them though. Just in a way wish it was only one of us but am at the place I don't want to hide anymore.

As far as I know my brother is straight though.

12. pancake111

my parents have a strong feeling that my brother is gay, but we don't know for sure. But i'm kinda thinking he is as well

13. kumawool

I sometimes wonder if my brother is closet bisexual, but he absolutely is not gay.

I do however, have a gay cousin and a bisexual cousin on my father's side.

That means only 2/5 people in my generation on my father's side are presumably heterosexual!!!

14. Arrow Ace

My grandmother, uncle and cousin on my mums side of the family are all lgb and my twin sister is pansexual. She has also hinted at being agender. So I'm pretty happy with that XD

15. ba92

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm bi and my little sister is bi. or bi-curious. I found out by talking to a girl she went out with (I mean I had suspicions though). Me and her don't talk about it at all, actually we don't talk period. I believe its one of the reasons we can't get along.

16. fleetingwells

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No problem :slight_smile: We're both out to our parents and family but not our extended family, though I think they have an inkling that my sister is gay. It's kinda the "rumor" in our family. One of my cousins knows I'm gay though and she's fine with it.

My family didn't respond well to my sister being gay but they let her move in with her girlfriend so I guess they don't mind. When I came out to them, they didn't expect it. They literally thought I was just following my sister's footsteps, thought I needed to give guys a chance since I never bothered dating them, thought I was going through a phase, etc etc. I don't think they have accepted it yet but they still love me.

My mom's classy, and I'd like to think that if I found a girl to date, she wouldn't really be bothered by it as long as the girl's cute and I keep it hush hush. But that hasn't happened yet and my best hope is that she'd at least be respectful towards her.

17. donly36

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am the oldest of four and three of us are gay...Me and my sister are lesbians and my brother is gay. The youngest of us all is married and has a baby!

18. Closetedteen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Both my sister and I discovered our bisexuality around the same time. I remember when I came out to her, we were going on a walk and I was trying to bring it up and she told me it was ok and that she was too. One of the most relieving moments of my life.

19. Ace of Hearts

I'm the only LGBTQ+ person in my immediate family, and I'm fairly certain I'm the only one in all of my extended family. That should be taken lightly though, because two of my younger brothers (I'm the oldest of 5 children) are still to young to even know what "sex" is, so it will be awhile until i know for sure. but at the moment, i'm the only one. To my knowledge, everyone in my extended family is cis-gender and (except for myself) heteroromantic AND heterosexual.

--Ace of Hearts
    (*hug*)

20. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm bisexual my cousin is a lesbian and her brother is gay