1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of dumping my boyfriend, am I being selfish ?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Beware Of You, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

So I am doing alright for a 23 year old, I have a decent research fellowship, will be a PhD by 25-6. I am paid decent etc. and I work hard.

I have a boyfriend who just gets on my nerves, on Monday I worked from 9am to 8pm at college, came home shattered to my boyfriend who spend all day in bed playing pokemon, he won't go and get a job or even sign on and look for one.

He just gets on my nerves, I was talking bout how I want a family and he says fine as long as I will pay, he then expects me to pay for all our food, drive him everywhere etc. and then he just uses me for sex 90% of the time.

Its getting me down, why should I have to put up with some guy who is so immature (he is older than me) and then expects me to pay for him all the time. I wouldn't mind if he tries but he doesn't, he just sits around and play GAMES. Then he had the urbanity to say that "oh its alright, I don't worry since I have 24 hours a day free"

I seriously want to dump his ass

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh dear...I thought your relationship was one of the better ones I've heard of in these parts!

*despairing over shattered illusions*

Of course you can't tolerate this state of affairs, not fair to you, and ultimately detrimental to him as well.

Sorry about that! (*hug*)

3. Beware Of You

It was good until the last month.

4. ThatOneHuman

Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't think that would be selfish at all, honestly.

(Time for some bluntness.)

Doing everything for someone, unless it's something you like doing (which doesn't appear to be the case), isn't very fun. It ends up being more like a parent/child relationship than anything else, because (besides the sex) that's basically what it's like. You drive him everywhere, you pay for everything, all while he sits there and does nothing.

He sounds more like a free loader than anything.

And, if you know he uses you for sex 90% of the time, that's not right. It sounds like he's only using you for things that he doesn't want to work for.

If he isn't going to put effort into his life, why should you put effort into staying with him?

That's how I see it.

Everyone deserves someone who makes their lives better, and he doesn't sound like that kind of person.

5. Beware Of You

I know, I get asked alot by really sweet guys, I just feel that I can do better, he needs a reality check I think. He stays here some nights but the rest he lives with his parents. I don't think I could cope living with him all time.

6. ThatOneHuman

Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, you said that you wanted a family, correct?

I think that if you don't even know if you could handle living with him all the time, then he wouldn't really be the best choice for someone to have a family with. And, if that is your goal/wish, to have a family, you need someone who would be able to help take care of said family, not someone who would sit around doing nothing all day long while you go out and make the money and whatnot.

It doesn't seem fair to you at all and, in my opinion, sounds like a one sided relationship.

7. dapulu

Please, dump him.

I've been on his side, and the sooner the reality check, the better. Missed oportunities were my wake-up call.

8. toushirojaylee

You deserve better.

9. AKTodd

What happened last month?

More specifically, was he behaving this way all this time and it only finely got to you in the last month? Or was he behaving differently up until about a month ago and then his behavior suddenly changed to it's current state?

If the latter, any idea what triggered the change in behavior?

Todd

10. RocketMoose27

He's the one being selfish here, dump him!

11. Beware Of You

Its just got to me last month, he has always been idle but he has been rubbing in my face more, plus with me getting a pay cut its hit me harder.

Anyway ended it last night, now single and fabulous :slight_smile: