1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I might still be in love with a straight guy

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Gaymerdude, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Gaymerdude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So basically, I met this guy a couple of years ago. He's really attractive, has a great sense of humor, is really nice, and is basically everything I want in a guy. The problem is that he's straight. The two of us became pretty good friends. He knew I was gay, but I never told him that I had feelings for him. I've had feelings for him since not too long after I met him. Anyway, so I have to be kind of vague, but basically, now he's gone, and the only interaction we have is minimal, like comments on Facebook. But the problem is, I feel like I still have feelings for him. I didn't realize how hard I'd fallen for him until he was gone, and when he left, I took it really hard. I was depressed, basically. I still find myself longing to be with him.

I don't know what to do. I try to forget him, but it seems impossible. It's not healthy for me to be in love with someone that's so completely and utterly unattainable. And I say that I'm in love with him, because I really don't think a crush can last for this long after not seeing the person for over a year.

I was thinking that maybe if I see him again, I should tell him how I really feel. Maybe that'll give me some closure? I honestly don't know what to do. It feels pathetic for me to still feel this way about a straight guy. I just feel like I need some advice.

2. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In your position, I would try to talk to him and tell him about how you feel. But, I would also be ready for the fact that he probably won't feel the same. But maybe ask if you can be just best friends or whatever. I guess then you need to talk to new people :/

3. Thursby

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree its not healthy to perpetuate these feelings. Being in love is supposed to be a wonderful emotion, but here it is only making you depressed. What does that say?

I don't know you personally, but it is possible that you are in love with the "idea" of him. When we fall in love we wear "rose-colored glasses", meaning we see only the wonderful things about the person and not the unattractive things.

Especially in your situation, the long distance can distort this even more. You begin to focus on memories of him and make yourself believe that you will only experience those happy times with him and no one else. You think that no one else can make you feel such powerful emotions.

This isn't true. Each time we fall in love, the experience is different but the love is still the same. You will feel this way about another someday.

Its not pathetic at all to feel this way. Gay people fall for straight people all the time. You are not the only one. Personally, I've experienced this like 6 or 7 times and I'm only 23.

It will probably happen to you again in your life, but I can guarantee it gets easier to move on each time. Just remember that there's nothing you can do to change him, so that feeling of trying to control the situation is unjustified.

It wasn't meant to be, but there is someone out there for you (and when you meet them you will quickly realize the difference between real love and crushing on a straight guy).

Telling him how you feel might give you closure, in the sense that you will find out for sure that he doesn't share the same feelings. Sometimes our mind tricks us so much that we literally need to hear the person say it to actually believe it.

You don't necessarily have to see him in person to do this. Meeting him face-to-face after being apart for so long could easily stir up your emotions again and make the rejection more difficult. If you tell him over facebook, the situation might not seem so intense and then you can move on. If you do this, I suggest keeping away from him on facebook for awhile. Otherwise, you could run the risk of re-igniting feelings you are trying to forget.

Sorry if this is a long post, its just I can relate and wanted to help (*hug*)

#3 Thursby, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  4. Gaymerdude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh no, don't apologize. Thank you so much for the advice. It feels good to finally talk about this, because even though I'm out as gay, my feelings for him specifically have been a huge secret. At least I'm not the only one that feels that way.

5. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I wouldn't go revealing how you feel to him. Especially since you no longer really interact with him. It won't do much good in my opinion. It may even hurt whatever relationship still exists between you guys. I can only see it leading to disappointment and awkwardness. But if it would really make you feel better, then I guess it's up to you to tell him.

6. Gaymerdude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know. Sometimes I think I'd rather he'd know the truth and we not be friends anymore, rather than me never telling him and still be acquainted. I figure if knows and leaves my life forever, I'll have some closure. But of course I'm also afraid of that happening...

7. Thursby

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well the only communication you have with him is through facebook. When you said he's gone, do you mean moved away forever or just away at college or something like that?

If he's gone for good your friendship with him will most likely dissipate over the next year or two. Its just something that happens with that much distance and time apart. It could be for the best though, new people will enter your life.

8. Gaymerdude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's joined the Armed Forces.