1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight Crush

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by John2013, Nov 13, 2013.

1. John2013

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am 38 and I am going through a terrible time as I am madly in love with my straight best friend. He is 27 and recently moved in with me, in a tiny flat, where we share the same bedroom but we sleep in separate beds. He doesn't know I am gay as I do see girls every now and then, but I am mostly gay.

I have known him for two years and we became good friends fairly soon. At first I was seeing him as a nice guy to hang out with, but after a few months, something more was developing. My feelings were also fuelled by the fact that he confessed he had never had a relationship, never had sex with a girl and that every time he tried, he failed miserably as he was unable to maintain an erection.

I then asked him, very delicately if there was any chances of him being gay, but he said he was pretty sure he wasn't and that the block was psychological. We kept discussing about this issue every now and then. I also advised him to see a doctor.

He doesn't act gay but he is very considerate towards me. We are very attached to each other. He sees me as a big brother and would go out of his way to do things for me. We hug a lot, hang out a lot, do most things together and we are also planning to go on a long trip. A few things I have noticed that make me doubt about his sexuality are:

1) He made comments about how good looking a guy was, if he had short hair, rather than long.
    2) Keeps saying that some guys we hang out with have sweet eyes.
    3) He is embarrassed when we change clothes; he looks away.
    4) Act weird in public to the point that they think he might be gay.
    5) Makes dirty remarks about girls in public, and only seems to like girls that are deemed hot by society.
    6) He is overly attached to me; surely has feelings but probably not admitting it to himself.
    7) Most people think we are a couple as we act like one.
    8) I caught him a couple of times looking at guys in the park.
    9) He tries to kiss girls (the only two he's seen since I've known him) only in public but never when they are alone;
    10) He has a lot of female friends but not many male friends, actually I am the only male friend. He had another close friend a few years ago but this guy got a girlfriend and didn't have time for him anymore. When we talk about that, he looks sad.

A few months ago, he started hanging out with a girl and after weeks of awkwardness in their relationship (she was pushing for sex and he was avoiding it), he finally managed to have a full-on intercourse. After that, he did it a few more times. He recently told me that it was never easy for him to have sex, and that he had to concentrate, in order to do it. Now he is seeing another girl but the same pattern is already showing.

I am not sure what to make out of all this. Every time we approach the straight-gay subject, he says he is pretty sure he is straight.

As for myself, I am in love with him. I would do anything for him but I am afraid that if I act upon my feelings, I might ruin the friendship forever.

Shall I just leave things the way they are?
    Shall I tell him how I feel, maybe in the future?
    Does he need a bit of more time to realise that he is probably gay as past events seem to confirm it?

Thanks

2. ryanalexander61

Shall I just leave things the way they are?

No, you should not do this. You are 38 years old and it seems you have accepted that you are gay. My first question to you is, why do you "see women" every now and then? You know you are gay and you are in love with another man. Seeing women is just going to keep you from pursuing a relationship that is going to make you happy.

In any event, leaving things as they are is also going to prevent you from pursuing a healthy relationship whether it be with your roommate (unlikely probably) or someone else (likely). You can't just sit in this "purgatory" of wondering and hoping about your roommate. Life is too short to sit around and hope that something will develop with someone when there are a million unknown factors involved. I know it's hard, but a quote that is often said on here is "we only make changes when the discomfort of standing still is greater than the fear of making change." Unreciprocated love is very uncomfortable.

Shall I tell him how I feel, maybe in the future?

The first thing you should absolutely do is come out to him and see how things develop. He seems like a good friend and a good person to accept that. There is a slim possibility that he is in the same situation as you, but too afraid to say anything. If you come out, it may make him more comfortable. I would also avoid asking him if he is gay, that is just going to put him on the defensive. After some time of allowing him to digest your sexuality, then you can have a better idea if telling him your feelings would be a good idea.

Does he need a bit of more time to realise that he is probably gay as past events seem to confirm it?

Those post events don't confirm anything. Him telling you is gay confirms it. Everyone accepts themselves on their time. You are 10 years older to him and haven't come out yet. So if he is gay, then he needs to accept it for himself first before there is even a chance that he might be able to pursue something with you.

Just remember that hanging on to the hope that your friend will like you back could be very damaging. At some point, you are going to probably have to make a very difficult decision to move on with your life and that isn't going to be easy given the proximity you share with him. As I said before, you are 10 years older than him and haven't come out. You don't want to wait 10 years just to have the hope that he is gay.

I always caution against analyzing "factors" or "events" people offer as evidence someone is gay. No matter how much evidence you offer that doesn't confirm anything until your roommate says something. That being said, there is certainly some reasonableness to your suspicion, and by coming out to him you can force his hand a little bit. "If you don't like what's being said, change the conversation."

best of luck,

3. John2013

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    @Ryanalexander61

When I meet a woman that is fun to hang out with, I usually take things a bit further. Although I do not see myself in long term relationships with women.

I agree with you. I am not out to him but I am out to others. I have been thinking of coming out a lot recently, especially since he moved in. It is something I have to do at some point.

He does already know (we have spoken about this) that I am very emotional and there is feminine side to me. He also told me that in his early 20s he thought he was probably gay as he was not attracted to girls at all. I told him that I questioned my sexuality too, when I was a teenager...but I left it like that.

Even if we don't end up together, at least I want him to know who I am as I don't want to lose him as a friend.

The first step must come from me. Thanks for your insight.

4. ryanalexander61

I think the best way to conserve your friendship would be to come out to him first and to see where things land.

That being said, I would like to share some of my personal experience. I fell in love with a friend. And like you, there was reasonable information to me that he felt the same way or was gay. I fell in love with him, and the dynamic of our friendship had changed.

Anyway, it comes to a point where you realize you need to move on. Depending on how much you love the person, I think it is very hard to maintain a friendship with someone that you have fallen in love with. As long as they are in your life, you are going to keep holding onto that hope that they could possible reciprocate your feelings. Only through time, distance and distraction can you get over the person. I have not reached that point yet, but I had to cut off all contact with my friend. It just got too painful. I'm not sure what will happen once I am over him, but suffice to say when you can't let yourself talk to someone less it hurts too much, a friendship is going to be damaged.

A lot of people come up with the conundrum "I love my friend, but don't want to lose our friendship." That's because what person would consciously be in love with someone and want them out of their life? And well to be honest, how many couples out there (straight, gay, what have you) do you see maintaining a friendship when the break up was not mutual? Very few. The "in-love" person needs time, significant amounts of time, to let their feelings dissipate.

It is very difficult, but life goes on.

5. John2013

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The situation here is a bit more complicated. I have pushed him away a few times. I tried to cut bridges, I would go for days without calling/texting him...without result. He would always show up at my door step to ask me why I wasn't being in touch, asking if there was anything wrong etc. etc.

I do have feelings for him and since I have been in this situation before, I have tried to prevent sufferance by distancing myself....but he always comes back, always tries to connect with me. I feel bad about pushing him away when he almost begs me to remains friends.

We are going on a long trip together. I will tell him about my sexuality before then. We discussed a lot in the past few days. I gave him hints that I am not who he thinks I am. He is clever and surely picked up on them.

We are not in a relationship and if nothing happens and we do not remain friends...then be it! Time heals everything...been there done that! I just can't believe I have fallen for it again!!

Thanks for your advice and for sharing your story.

6. ryanalexander61

Well then it seems like you are in good spot for things to work out.

Best of luck to you and keep us updated.

7. John2013

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Let's say that my rationale side is fight with my irrational side. It's like I am splint in two. One side knows what is best and what to do, the other side still thinks there is a chance.

He just came back form a night out with a girl. He said he had sex but he does not look like somebody that has had sex. He looks a bit down. He also mentioned every time he does it, it feels like it's not a big deal...go figure!

8. ryanalexander61

I hear ya. That hope we have is very powerful and that rational vs. irrational battle can be very hard. That hope is there because it represents the easy path. You don't have to come out really (you'd be in a relationship with your roommate how easy!), and you don't have to put forth the effort to go out and meet new people.

I held on to that hope for a very long time, and frankly never got any answers cause my friend would shun talking about anything even remotely emotional.

You got to remember and remind yourself, everyday all the time (as cliche as it is): you only live once. How much longer do you want to put yourself through this? Your 38 years old. Read some of the stories in the LGBT Later in Life Section. People that are 40, 50 will say how much the regret living in the closet that long.

You said every time you try to put some distance between you and your friend he comes back. And I don't want to advocate being a shitty friend and just pushing him out. But you have to be honest with him and honest with yourself. No matter how good a friend we want to be, to be there for someone, we have to do what is going to make us happy in the long run. If you decide to tell him your feelings, all you have to say is that I need some time to let them go away and I would like to continue our friendship in the future. Then it is on him.

9. John2013

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In this moment in time I cannot distance myself as we live together and we are planning a long trip together. I will start with coming out. When we come back, I will tell him about my feelings and that I need him to move out.

It's not easy as we have stuff going on at the moment and I don't want to compromise our holidays.

I am a bit stuck. A part of me wants to tell him to go, cancel our plans etc. but then I think about the money already spent for the holiday etc.. I also contacted the agency to see whether I could get a refund (obviously he doesn't know about this) and they said tickets are non refundable. The only option would be to change names, but it's difficult to find people wiling to take a 4 months break.

I am seeing other people but it doesn't seem to work. I do know though that the only medicine would be to get rid of him.

10. penguin machine

You do NOT want to manipulate him into coming out because you like him. You couldnt cause much more damage than by doing that. So when you come out to him, and it should be soon, leave it at that. You can tell him it's why you have asked him a few times, because some of what he seems to be experiencing with the girls he sees is familiar to you, and you just wondered if it might mean anything to him. Let him know hat ultimately, you trust him, you're there for him, and hope hell return it. Maybe your courage will encourage him. Maybe he'll have questions. Maybe he'll be curious. But it's not your job, or your right, to force that change in him.

Coming out is about bringing your outside behaviour more in line with your inner nature. AND NOTHING ELSE. So take the time you need to be comfortable with who you are inside. You don't need to change outward behaviour You just need to incorporate what feels natural, what feels right to you. This is good advice regardless of one's sexual situation. Maybe your roomie needs time to accept that he isn't very sexually attracted to women. Maybe he's not even romantically attracted to them. Maybe he's demi-sexual, and needs a romantic connection to feel sexually fulfilled. Maybe he's gay. The point is, you can't force him to pick a label. All you can do is be a positive influence in his life. Util he asks you to be his boyfriend, he NEEDS you to be his friend, so take that responsibility seriously. Be a good friend at that. Be whatever he needs, and try to expect the same of him.

I always tell people, if you don't try to earn him as a friend, you don't deserve him as a boyfriend. And it applies regardless of wther there's any chance he's even gay. Just be a good friend and respect that relationship. Anything more is special, and not something to be rushed.

11. John2013

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    @Penguin Machine

I never said I wanted to manipulate him into coming out. I need to come out to him as I did with most people I know. He kind of already knows that I am gay, as we do speak a lot about sexuality in general.

He knows I trust him and he trusts me back. It is my problem if I have feelings for him and not his. As I said in my previous posts, I have tried to distance myself from him, but without success. He always comes to look for me.

E.G. tonight we went out with a group of friends for dinner. After we finished, they decided to go to a pub for a beer but I told them I was heading home. As soon as he heard that, he came to me and said, ok let's go home and have a beer there...I replied, that if he wanted a beer, he should go with the group and not follow me home, only because I felt like I wanted to have an early night. He then decided to stay...but before leaving, he asked me if everything was OK...

To be honest, the situation is doing my head in, and I'm not even sure I want him as a boyfriend. I care about him a lot, but it's unlikely we will ever have anything beyond friendship.

I just need to find a way to get rid of him..and it's difficult now, because we live together and are planning to travel together. Events can change though...just need to find a way...

#11 John2013, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  12. kumawool

Listen, there's a possibility that he might be capable of loving you, but there's no possibility of that if you keep things as you are.

Is he okay with gay people? Sounds like he is. Tell him you're gay.

Your situation is familiar to me actually...

It sounds like how I got my boyfriend. We were the best of friends, didn't live together, but sure wanted too. We were close, and he liked girls, but something did seem a little off about him. I friendzoned him and accepted that I wouldn't be with him, and that he was a straight best friend --- something rare, and I left it at that.

However, there came a time where we decided to be honest --- he came to admit that he was bisexual, and changed the dynamics of our relationship, allowing us to be together. I kept my sexuality from him up until that point --- simply because I didn't want to seem like I wanted something more from him --- and so he had no idea I was gay, and I therefore respect the courage it took for him to tell me how he felt.

If you want your relationship to change -- you have to have a similar courage. You need to courage to tell him how you feel AND the courage to accept it if he doesn't want to be close to you.

The point is, is that he sure sounds like he might like you. There's a reason he keeps you around, and cares about you, there's a reason he's going on long vacations with you, and perhaps it's that he wants a close friend. But perhaps it's more. Is he open to homosexuality? If he clearly is, it's not really dangerous to be open with him...and if that's the case... You can find out his feelings if you really want too.

13. John2013

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    @Kumawool

Yes, he is OK with gay people. His brother is gay too.

We spoke about this girl he is seeing at the moment and he told me that he feels awkward around her. There is something not quite right and he doesn't know what. He can't identify it.

I just listened and did not say anything.

I have friendzoned him too, i.e. treating him like other friends but he keeps noticing it and asks for explanations on why I act differently. As I said before, I tried to distance myself...but even this, was an utter failure.

I'll wait a bit longer but I think the moment of me telling him that I am gay, is close.

14. dapulu

I'm super immature and take challenges head on. So my immature advice is: get drunk and kiss him. See what happens.

15. ryanalexander61

"Drunk words are sober thoughts."

I think you forgot to mention you need to get him drunk too :thumbsup:

(just kidding).

16. John2013

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OK I have an update!!

I spoke to him this afternoon and I told him I am gay/bi-sexual. I told him I feel more gay than straight and that I find men more attractive than women.

I also told him that by coming out, I was prepared to accept the fact that he might have wanted to distance himself from me, and take a break from our friendship. Or even just veer off and disappear from my life.

His reaction was surprisingly good. He said he had already an idea because I had been dropping hints. He added that this would only make our friendship stronger and that he will always be there for me.

At some point, he also asked me whether I thought that he could be in a similar situation.

This caught me off-guard but I told him that the discomfort he feels every now and then, needs to be addressed and he is the only one who can do that.

He added that some time ago, an guy he knows (not quite a close friend) told him that he had been in a similar situation, i.e. going out with girls but also being more attracted to guys. Maybe that guy was seeing in him exactly what I see...

He went to meet a couple of friends and gave me a long hug before leaving the flat. I told him I am lucky to have him and he said, "no I am lucky to have you".

I feel relieved! It was difficult to talk, but I feel lighter now and ready for what is coming next...whatever that will be!

#16 John2013, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  17. dapulu

Ohhh. Nice. Keep on updating :grin:

18. ryanalexander61

Good to hear! I think how things play out over the next couple of weeks might give you a good indication as to whether you need/it would be a good idea to expand on your feelings for him.

For now, just let him be, let things soak in. If he wants to open up to you further, he will when he is ready.

19. John2013

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Another update...

We had lots of discussion between yesterday and today. He seemed a bit down and told me that he is worried why he does not have nay feelings for this girl he is seeing. It's like there is something off about her; he does not feel connected and he does not want to spend time with her. He likes her company, her cuddles but sex itself is not a big deal.

He had a similar pattern with his previous girl.

He doesn't know what to make out of this; he is aware there is something not quite right but cannot identify what. He seemed very down and demotivated, especially knowing that the girl is very much into him and he isn't.

He left the flat feeling very sad. I wanted to give him a hug but he refused and went out.

Not sure what to make out of all this. Any idea/advice?

Thanks

20. Rarareva

Rarareva Guest

It seems like your mate is going through a rough time. Questioning your sexuality is never an easy thing. Have you thought about telling him what you went through, when you realized that you also were into guys? I don’t know if you talked about this, but it might help him understand and compare it to his own situation. Sex is a big deal and if he doesn’t feel it is, then he’s either not in-love with the girl or not interested in girls. He thought before that he might be gay, but he never done anything with another guy, right?

I been straight my whole life, but a few months ago I realized I had feelings for my roommate and best mate, after he told me he was gay and in-love with me. It was a rollercoaster of emotions for me. In the end I realized my feelings for him were real and strong. We been together in a relationship for four months now, and I’m so much in-love with him. Sexuality isn’t written in stone.

Let him know that he can talk with you about his confusion. At the moment I can imagine that he’s freaking out a bit, because he’s thinking he might not be straight.

Best of luck!