1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Gays/Closet Cases Sense Each Other?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by pgame311, Nov 13, 2013.

1. pgame311

pgame311 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Okay, so I'm not talking gaydar or "is he/she gay" necessarily. I just find that I randomly and unintentionally make a certain type of eye contact with people whom I know are gay or friends who I assume are LGBQ. It seems to be too common an occurrence to write off as mere coincidence—in fact, sometimes I have to plan to look away just to avoid the gaze of the guys I'm not interested in... Does anybody else even have this situation? (!)

2. SomeNights

All the time. I wouldn't trust it as a gaydar though, because you also have the "just really friendly" people.

With that being said I did have a friend in high school that had a "3 second rule"( 3 solid seconds of eye contact means that they are interested).

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes yes. Today, I was at a desk next to a hallway, and a three guys came nearby. Their voices seemed kind of effeminate, not to mention they were kind of cute and well-dressed. All these things are really not signs of being gay, but I noticed they had what I consider "suspicious" eye contact.

What I mean is that most straight guys need only look once at another guy to size him up or for recognition, and afterward, their eyes will never drift often to the guy because they're not attracted to the male body. With gay guys, they will often look back multiple times trying to figure each other out or get a better look, just like straight guys with girls.

Anyway, I didn't pay much attention to the group of guys until they sat at a nearby table (couldn't see them clearly because there was a pillar), and they were talking quite loudly. I didn't look at them because I was trying to study, but it one of them casually mentioned coming out, so I knew he was gay. Anyway, this was a very unique fluke in that I could get confirmation of a suspicion, but I definitely didn't know for sure.

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I kinda wish i new those type of people where are they

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes I wish everyone had their Kinsey scale number floating above their heads

6. Saint Otaku

Nope, whenever I make eye contact with a cute boy I usually find out he has a girlfriend. Maybe I just have "straightdar"... :/

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Closeted folks often have a skittishness that I can pick up on. If it wasn't for that dynamic, combined with the absence of other stereotypical qualities, then a person might not know and they'd get a "pass."

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Very true! There is this adorable younger guy I've seen a few times on the bus who tries very hard to be calm and look straight, but you can see his eyes very slightly shift toward my straight friend, who is quite good-looking. He is unable to make direct eye contact at all, and he pays no attention to girls no matter how attractive they are. He might be in the ROTC because he gets off near that area, so maybe he's not comfortable with his sexuality.

9. kumawool

Yes, I can tell if someone is gay with a high degree of accuracy, bisexual with a medium level of accuracy. We quite literally spend our lives trying to find gay partners/friends, it makes sense that we would subconsciously/consciously learn cues to finding other gays --- even if they might not want us too.

10. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a closeted guy, it is SO hard not to look at men I find attractive. It feels almost reflexive once I've caught a glimpse. I tend to avoid all eye contact with other men I don't knoow well. Much easier to feel comfortable once I've gotten to know a guy though.