1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling resentful at my father

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by fortheloveoflez, Nov 14, 2013.

1. fortheloveoflez

It's been years and I've found that my dad hasn't changed that much. It's been years and I thought he accepted that I like women. But yesterday I was sad and I didn't want to talk about why. I'm used to bottling up my emotions and I don't feel that comfortable talking to my parents about women, since I'm just so used to never talking about it. I ended up telling him and then basically somewhere towards the end of the conversation he said I think you should start dating men now.

I told him that that was an incredibly ignorant statement and that that's never going to happen. Then it ended up leading to an argument. I told him that I spent so much time being respectful to his wishes over mine and that this is the one thing that will never change about me. I told him how it made me feel and why it's wrong all the things he's said. But he didn't budge. I ended up talking about how hard it is for me....and then he just ended up changing the topic more or less and saying that I'm "afraid of men".

2. seekingcalm

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry, I sort of know how that feels. My mom is the same way and whenever I complain about problems meeting good women she says I should try men (i don't even complain to her she just overhears other conversations). Of course, when my brothers complain about woman problems she never gives them that advice. I finally called her out on that a few months ago and she's stopped saying that. Tell your dad that him saying that to you is like saying that to a straight guy and maybe he'll get it?

3. fortheloveoflez

Ya, when he told me I should date men. I told him that if he likes men so much he should consider dating them. But in his mind my comment was totally different than his comment towards me about dating men. Classic Homophobe.