1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever been in so love with a straight person?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by musicalshyguy, Nov 15, 2013.

1. musicalshyguy

I have this sorta long story dealing with me and a totally hot straight guy that doesn't even come around me. I'm writing a song about him and I get tears in my eyes. When I think about him, my heart feels like it's going to burst. I want to stop liking him and get it over with, but I just can't! What should I do?

2. Thursby

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First, as difficult as it is you need to accept this fact. He's straight and unfortunately there's nothing you can do to change it. Continuing to pursue him will only lead you to pain and self-loathing. Sometimes realizing that you have no control over the situation is comforting (as odd as that sounds). You didn't do anything wrong, it just wasn't meant to be.

Distancing yourself from him would be a good idea. If you don't, you will probably just fall back into the cycle.

Also, don't allow yourself to believe that he's the only one for you. He could never provide you with what a relationship needs. There's someone out there for you, who will reciprocate your feelings. When this happens you will see the difference between REAL love and crushing on a straight guy.

#2 Thursby, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  3. AlexKnight

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree that it would be best to distance yourself. Believe me I know how hard it can be; I was convinced that I was in love with my straight best friend for three years straight. I wish I had distanced myself from her sooner, but ultimately it had been her to detach herself from me. It hurt, but I knew I'd have to get over it one way or another, and I did. We didn't speak to each other for a year, and the feelings were gone by the time we spoke again.

I've already had one girlfriend since then. Even if it's hard to believe now, there is someone out there waiting for you. Stay strong and keep your head held high.

4. penguin machine

You know, people will tell you to distance yourself, but I would say first ask about the qualities you see in him. Someone you can't date is a perfectly good place to explore your feelings. Model your romantic desires off what works here and what doesn't. IF you're naturally responding to somebody, even somebody you cant date, your nature is telling you something about what you want in a partner, so as long as you can remember that you're being an adult and just figuring out what qualities are meaningful to you in a partner, consider what I always tell people to consider. If you're not going to earn him as a friend, you don't deserve him as a boyfriend. And the same counts here. You certainly have the strength to appreciate him as a person, and friend, and still learn something about what you want in your love life. MAYBE if you investigate your feelings a little more, you'll find that they're actually extremely shallow, and wouldn't be fulfilling in the long run. It's not that easy to know what we want until we're mired in something we don't. So I say be a good friend, and be honest with yourself. ANY quality he has, WHATSOEVER, I guarantee you can find in a gay guy who will actually reciprocate those feelings.

There's nothing wrong with learning from your fruitless crushes. Just always remember that being a friend is more important, and far more rewarding, than being obsessed and just watching him from a distance.