1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loved ones can't accept me being trans. Help?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ProfessorPunk, Nov 15, 2013.

1. ProfessorPunk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi. Thank you to anyone who bothers to read this

I came out as trans (FtM) last year and have started transitioning. I'm now dressing the way I want to, have changed my hair and am being called my preferred name. This was after a long battle with my parents. I put it off for ages because of their views but organised for someone from Gender Matters to come and talk to them about the issue and answer there questions. They came round and decided I should do what makes me happy. So I did. But my parents have gone back on themselves and now don't accept it again. I keep being told what an embarrassment I am and how they'll never accept me. My mum even threatened to disown me over it. Since I'm currently not well enough mentally to live on my own, I still live with them, so the atmosphere is always horrible here. And the issue keeps being brought up but not in a constructive way. I've fled to another relative's house from time to time but I realise now running away doesn't mean running away from the problem. It'll still be there when I get back

I'm also out to my friends, who thankfully accept it, and my boyfriend. He was aware of the issue as soon as we met because I was already out and I explained it to him. He was fine with it for a while but now he's struggling with it. He says he wants to call me a girl and for me to dress like one. Ive tried to explain to him my feelings and everything. He says he's sorry and he'll think about it but tbh, I don't feel like I've got through to him. I promised him that I wouldn't take transitioning any further, but now I don't know if I should have. I feel completely trapped, as though my lifestyle is hurting everyone around me so I can't be who I want to be. I don't want to hurt them, it feels like its selfish of me to even be alive. I understand full well that its a difficult issue for loved ones to deal with and that they need time, but I just don't know what to do. I'm at my wits end, its really affecting my mental state and making me feel suicidal. I feel like I'll never be able to transition and reach a stage where I'm fully happy with myself and comfortable in my own skin. If anyone can offer any sort of advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. kumawool

You need to start utilizing some options, consider leaving your parent's house, moving in with friends, your boyfriend (yes, this is a process, and probably won't happen immediately). In effect, you need to remove yourself from a negative environment and into one that you can cause to be a positive one.

And clearly tell your parents, you don't wan that kind of negtivity in your life, and being an "embaressment", means that they want distance, and for your health you're going to give that to them. You deserve a positive life --- and your parents can be a part of your life when they aren't being negative.

Basicallly; you deserve healthy and positive things in your life, and you have the power to create that life for yourself... And it's going to take some time of course... but the choices and goals you make now will create your future. Best of luck :slight_smile:.