1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm in love with my brother.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by JulianEs, Nov 15, 2013.

1. JulianEs

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm a 26-year old male. My parents had adopted this young boy around four years ago and I realized by now that I'm madly in love with my adopted brother, who is 15. He is fragile, feminine, and just gorgeous, literally looks like a girl, a pretty one by the way. I don't know, maybe that's the problem, but I feel strong romantic and sexual attraction. I want to kiss him, hug him, caress him and all that stuff I normally do to my girlfriends. We are very close and I know he is gay and I think he likes me, I mean he seeks my company and seems to want to get my attention. What do I do about that? I mean he is a kid and I don't tend to hurt him, but I think I am about to... I can barely control myself when we are together and alone.

2. Saint Otaku

Psychologically, you two are in very far ends of the developmental spectrum. For this reason, I worry your brother would develop an unhealthy emotional dependence on you, and would strongly dissuade you to pursue a sexual relationship with him. For his sake, I would think very hard upon the eleven-year age gap and what would be best for your brother.

3. danobi

Don't act rashly. Reasons why:

1) He's family, It can cause many Issues.
    2) He's underage and its illegal

I don't know what you can do to make the feelings stop but I think its best not to act upon them in this situation.

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, is what you are thinking of doing even legal where you live? Don't get put in jail.

How out of his depth will he feel with a 26 year old man 'coming on' to him - he sounds pretty vulnerable and may just feel trapped in the house with you

What happens if it all backfires - he rejects you or you change your mind ... all sorts of difficult relationships would develop

Sorry no answers here but this is a critical time to decide whether to continue as a supportive brother (which could in its own way be a beautiful lifelong relationship) or as something very different.

5. Nick07

This can end up very badly. It is possible that not only you could go to jail for this, but also your parents could be in big troubles - because they have adopt him and their home was not safe.
    The kid is not free - he can't leave the house and get away from you and you are sort of an authority for him.
    Be adult and keep your hands and your dick to yourself

6. JulianEs

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    We don't live together, so there is no way he feels trapped. But I can tell he wants to be around me. I regularly take him to my place on weekends, we talk on the phone for hours etc.

7. Nick07

Sure you do. He probably misses a strong and kind father figure in his life. That's why he likes to talk to you.

8. apostrophied

Yeah, I mean, you're his brother, right? It's normal he's going to want you in his life.

Whatever you do, do not act on your impulses, and do not give him even the slightest inkling that you might be having feelings for him. I can't even start to imagine the trouble it could get you into.

So sorry you're dealing with this rare and difficult situation! :frowning2:

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to concur with everyone else. He's adopted, so presumably he's not had a great life so far, and probably hasn't had much stability, or any caring adult figure in his life. Even if he's gay, what he's seeking, and what he needs, is someone to be his friend and mentor, not someone who is going to abuse his trust. And any sort of romantic/sexual relationship with him is going to do nothing but abuse his trust.

Even if he thinks and acts like he wants or is agreeable to a sexual relationship with you, you have to remember that he's likely been through hell, and so he doesn't have a clear understanding of what a healthy relationship with an older male looks like. If you act on your impulses and feelings, you'll permanently damage what could be a healthy developing understanding of what that sort of relationship could look like.

Don't do it. Under any circumstances. Not if he begs for you to give in, not if you've had a few drinks and "can't help yourself." If you give any sort of a crap about him and his needs, simply don't *ever* act on those feelings.

10. JulianEs

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yes, but what if I am a loving boyfriend, what if I can make him happy?

11. ba92

Out Status:
    A few people
    sorry man, I don't see it. I don't see how this wouldn't hurt him in the end. this is one of those things you gotta get through with strong will power.

12. VireBlaze

'What if' is a question that haunts us all. We brood over it because there are no 100% possibilities.

The thing is, it might be wise to look at it at a different angle - what if he's not seeking the same thing? What if he just wants a mentor, someone he looks up to? What if he just needs to know that someone's there for him? People like to spend a lot of time with people they like, and don't always have romantic or sexual intentions behind them. It's like Chip said - under any circumstances, do not do it. You would get in major trouble and possibly scar this boy. You don't 100% know for sure if he wants the same thing. The best thing you can do is care for him and show him that you support him, AND NOT ACT ON THESE FEELINGS. If you care for him as much as you say, you'll recognize that this would not end well for anyone. Besides the major age difference, you two are still technically brothers, even if he is adopted. It would be best to just leave it at that.

There are many people out there in the world, and I'm sure he'll find someone around his age whom he clicks with, cares for, and will equally be cared for, and he will be happy with them. It will happen, sooner or later, I'm sure - he just needs to experience that for himself. You can still care for him, but recognize that he has his own wants and needs that don't necessarily intertwine with your own.

13. LD579

In the long run, I doubt you'd be making him truly happy. It wouldn't be a healthy relationship. Chip and VireBlaze have hit the nail on the head here, and so I can't say much more without being repetitive, but reread their posts again. If you loved him in any way, you'd do what's best for him, which would be not pursuing any relationship other than a familial-type one. As it stands, you may be in love with the idea of him, which is quite different.

14. JulianEs

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Guys, you don't seem to understand our relationships with him. I am old and experienced enough to recognize a teenage crush. They suck at hiding emotions. Let's put it that way, I know he has one on me. There is a good chance I scare him with my confession (I think he was molested as a child by his father, he doesn't speak much about it though), but he wants it still. I mean innocent flirt occurs all the time, he is simply scared to love someone who is that old for the same reason, but still IS attracted to me.

15. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe he does have a crush on you. He's a young teenager who's faced a hell of a lot on his life, and crushes on older male figures happen, especially to kids who've been in situations like theirs. You have the responsibility here. You're the adult, you're his big brother, and you'd be taking advantage of him to a huge degree if you did anything with him. Even if he consented.

16. bluesky

Dude, don't do it! I know feelings are hard to hold back especially when you feel as if the other person feels the same way too. But in this kind of situation you are risking way too much. First off, he's 15.. he doesn't know any better.. you need to try to put this aside and be there for him as a BROTHER for now. You have to be strong and not act on your feelings...so what if he is attracted to you.. you can't use that as an excuse to act on your feelings. he's too young man....I'm sorry it has to be like this for you, but it won't be any easier on you if you act up on this. Please think about this and listen to the people on here.

17. LD579

Maddy is right. Please read her post in this thread once more. If you will not listen to reason or to us, then I don't know what else can be said.

18. apostrophied

Unfortunately bro, there are no ifs or buts in this story. This kid is a highly troubled minor whom your parents are responsible for, and you are his brother. His emotions and behaviors are all out of whack because of what he's gone through, I mean, you even said he'd been molested!! Do you really think he can relate to men normally after that (not saying he never will, but at the moment, I think it's pretty clear he can't)?! He's confused and he needs your help!!

Not to mention, has it even crossed your mind what your parents would say if they found out that their sons were in a "relationship"?! Honestly, I hope they'd call the cops. You'd face all sorts of charges and would more likely than not end up in jail for a nice little while. Seriously, doesn't that tell you how wrong acting on your impulses would be?? Not to mention your parents would likely be in boiling hot water as well.

You can NEVER be a good boyfriend to him or make him happy or whatever. You can either help him by keeping your hands/penis/whatever to yourself or ruin him by not doing so. Wake up, man!

19. Gipsy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think everyone has basically reasoned everything enough to prevent you from acting on your impulses. Of course I'm going to agree with them as well, but in the end these are your decisions and if something goes out of line -- it was all on you. You can't convince us to tell you to go ahead and do it, or that you're not related by blood so it would be OK. Oh so much could go wrong, especially if family witnesses. Don't even bother thinking what could go right because even if you're instincts could be right and the teenager likes you, in the end there will always be at least ONE obstacle and that would probably be family knowing or other things possibly related. I'd imagine your family becoming speechless, and not in a good way either. He's still a kid for crying out loud, look for a guy near your age. Go to a bar, meet other men and get to know them, introduce them to your family later if you're out to them, you know what I mean. I hope within time you get to see this boy as the little brother he's meant to be.

#19 Gipsy, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  20. JulianEs

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I got all the idea of how bad, perverted and stuff like that I am, but let's for a second be objective. I care about him, he cares about me, we are not blood related and had actually met just four years ago. We didn't grew up together or anything, so the only real obstacle I see is his age, but he ain't going to be 15 forever, right? Plus, I haven't done a thing yet. So, why are you, guys, so harsh towards me? It's not like I want to hurt the kid. No, I want to be with him and am trying to find a way. That's the advice I was looking for in the first place.