1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my brother's behavior normal?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MoyashiAlice, Nov 16, 2013.

1. MoyashiAlice

Hi~

Most of the times my brother is a decent/nice guy. He has grades in the high 80's to 90's, a couple of smart friends and has a good sense of humor. However, when he gets mad he tends to get really mean and sometimes violent (thought never to me). For example, he sometimes smacks his bird if he bites him, pushes me or my little sister away from him, and tends to call people rude names. This includes bitch to me and my sister and asshole to my dad once.

I know that young men in general tend to be more aggressive and impulsive. My brother hasn't been in a fight or anything, like some young guys do when they get mad. Still, sometimes his behavior nerves me...

Do you guys think this is normal for a teen guy to lash out like this when he's mad?

2. John2013

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would think it is pretty normal, but maybe your dad should step in and ground him or do something to punish him. Maybe he just needs some directions...

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's hard to tell from what you've said. If it's limited to language and occasional physical actions that aren't really violent, then it's within the realm of normal.

If it goes into rage and it seems like he's really out of control in those moments, then that could indicate an impulse control problem.

But most likely, what you're describing is probably within the realm of normal teen behavior.

4. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Could be worth having a quiet word with him to see what is causing him to act out like this.

5. DesertTortoise

Wheter or not it's normal isn't important. In a culture that reinforces and expects macho male attitudes and patriarchal privilege--that's perfectly normal.

It's also disturbing, hurtful and needs to be challenged. Not accepted.

6. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Is there something stressful going on in his life right now? Maybe you could ask him if there's anything wrong because you've noticed he's been acting out/behaving oddly. If he gets defensive just leave him be and let him know if he needs someone to talk to that you're there for him.

7. boyfromhamilton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well first off if the bird bit me I'd smack it too, Second it's really hard to tell teenagers can be, well to put it mildly a little difficult at times. There is a lot of things going on with your brother at this age.

8. stumble along

Please tell him to not hit the bird, it does no good considering hitting it makes it think you're playing thus reinforcing the behavior or if you hit it hard enough it will just plain hate you.
    Also tell him not to make any loud or exaggerated motions when being bit because the bird will find it amusing and again reinforce the biting

As for everything else I find it alittle bit over aggressive but then again I've only been mad about 3 to 4 times in my life, if anything mostly frustrated. But I would try and talk to your dad or something to sit him down and set him straight about cussing you your sister or anyone out. It doesn't get anyone anywhere and is just negative

9. MoyashiAlice

Thanks for the responses guys. :slight_smile: