1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ugh

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by addie88, Nov 17, 2013.

1. addie88

The divorce rate of our society is nearly 50%. That's like, you get married to the love of your life, and then flip a coin- heads or tails, heads you grow old together, tails you get divorced in less than ten years.

And yet we romanticize the idea of marrying and having kids and growing old with our "one true love." And we all find that person, get married, and say to ourselves "we're different from the statistic. We're gonna make it."

So we move in together to test the waters and we plan out our future together, knowing that we don't want to end up like our parents.

And then it happens anyway. It falls apart. We become the statistic.

Honestly, none of this is relevant to what I'm asking you all about. My question is, how stupid is it to get married young? To get engaged after 2 years, transfer to a new college with your now fiance, and then get married when things are all settled?

Because that is what I'm planning to do. And all of my family members are going to despise me for it. I will have no support. This is a stupid decision! It is one thing that everyone in society can agree on as being one of the most rash, naive, impulsive decisions a person could make.

But sooooo many people do it right. So many people date for years, live together, and then get married. And they divorce anyway.

It's not about finding the "right person." It's about making it work, even when shit gets real and life sucks and you're not as attracted to your partner as you used to be.

Back in the day, divorce wasn't a thing. And maybe that sucked for some people but I also think that our society is so instant-gratification-oriented, and when something's broken we throw it away and get a new one, instead of fixing it. My mom was married twice and divorced twice. My oldest sister has already been divorced. My other sister's getting married now, and my third sister is currently dating an abusive guy. I'm dating a person who loves me for who I am, and who shares nearly all of the same views as I do. And I'm not going to let her go just because society deems us as a young relationship doomed to fall apart in the end anyway.

So I'm planning on proposing to her in about a year.

#1 addie88, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  2. kumawool

Well, that is alarming. Even more alarming is the 90% chance you had of this relationship not even happening, since many sources stretch % of LGBT persons to 10% of society.

Maybe it might make you feel better to see that the rate of divorce actually peaked in our parent's generation --- we've been doing a lot better with it, with the divorce rate being under 20%

[​IMG]

Also, I think you have the right attitude... A relationship that works takes commitment, and you seem to understand that. At times, you will feel the passion, and the liking, diminish, and at those times you will have to be committed enough to solve problems and be there for her anyway. I'm sure you will be able to do that.

Also, make sure you tell us how the proposal went! :slight_smile:

3. addie88

Hey man, thank you for the support. I really appreciate it. Any other advice, anybody? Regarding the whole situation? Maybe of gaining the support of my family?