1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusing relationship

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Louise1, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Louise1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So...after finally coming to terms with my sexuality I met a girl online. Neither of us had told our parents about being gay although other people did know. We also both live in a different city to our parents and had never been with a women before.

Anyway we had a first date and this led to many more. Since then I have stayed at her house a number of times, we have cooked each other dinner and been out for meals and drinks. When out in public we will hold hands and kiss and all my friends/everyone at my work knows about her. We have also slept together on a number of occasions which makes me even more certain about how I feel.

Now, the other night at hers I mentioned telling my parents and she said she has no intention of ever telling hers as they would freak out.

Now, my problem is I don't know where we stand - as in whether we are a couple or not. As this is all new to both of us I don't want to push things and make her uncomfortable. At the same time I would like to be as open as possible to everyone (including my family). This is a bit tricky when I don't know whether we are even dating or not. Also if we are dating am not sure I can do it without her parents knowing...

What do people think? Any advice?

2. HopeFloats

You can't control her relationship with her parents or her coming out process. That being said, if family relationships are important to you and you expect to be included in a partner's family life eventually, you can make clear your own expectations / desires.

And you can tell your family about her - and introduce them- even if she is not ready to tell her family about you. The status of her relationship with her parents doesn't affect whether or not you and she are "in a relationship."