1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I always find something wrong with a guy...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by memyself, Nov 18, 2013.

1. memyself

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've noticed a pattern whenever I date anyone. It seems like always after about 5 dates or less, I tend to assess that person and think "he's not right for me because of 'this' reason". It's always something different, but I'm wondering if I'm being to fast to jump to these conclusions. I have been on dates before that the guy has just obviously been wrong for me, but I've dated a few guys now that I'm not so sure. Maybe I was too quick to dismiss them.

I think this is the reason why I hate online dating so much. I know I hate it, but it's honestly the only way I've ever been able to get a date with anyone for the past two years or so. I think that because online dating always starts with "we are only talking because we know we are both looking for a relationship, that's what this dating site is for" that makes me assess the guy from the very start. I hate that. I'd rather meet someone in person for reasons that aren't strictly dating. Like just a group of friends hanging out, or some kind of hobby or activity or just really any reason to get to know that person before I decide I want to pursue that person romantically.

So I finally brought myself to use a dating site and met a guy and went on a date with him rather quickly. The first date went great. We really hit it off, there was a river and moonlight, we kissed. It seemed a little fast, but overall it was a good date. And then we went on a second date, casually going to some bars with his friends. It seemed to go great at first. I really liked his friends. I was having a good time. Then my date started getting drunk. He was sooooo unattractive when he was drunk. It was like flipping a switch. He just turned into this sloppy pig.

Anyways, I guess what I'm wondering is should I continue this pattern? Should I just go with my gut and assume I'm a pretty good judge of character? Or should I make an effort to stick around more? Not just with this guy, but future guys as well? Like if things are going ok or pretty good and there's no obvious deal breakers (like hard drugs or alcoholism or just being a total jerk), how do you know when it's the right time to say "nope, he's not for me, no more dates with him"?

2. ryanalexander61

I'm very similar. I usually don't even click with someone on a friendship level until a while after I have gotten to know the person. I believe I am this way because I am insecure, and don't open up and connect with people right away. I am very guarded and very afraid of being judged (and it isn't just a gay thing).

If I were you, I would try to stick it out a little longer in the future. But you make a good point, when do you say, "this is it, no more dates for me!" I don't really have a good answer for you because I am trying to decipher that myself. I am currently "seeing" someone. We have hung a bunch, and we have hooked up and stuff as well including several over nighters. Like you, I have found a couple of petty things I don't like about him (I guess don't like would even be strong, probably better to say things that make me thing eh he aint the one), but not enough to say "this is it." However, I sure as hell don't want to lead someone on and worse, hurt this person. So I don't know, it's tough.

3. emkorora

emkorora Guest

This question has a great deal of complexity.

Analysis can be both a fault and virtue. I will assume the reasons for both are obvious. To that end, from my experience with lawyers I have detected a pattern. Lawyers, being the expert examiners they are, often strive in their career which demands thorough evaluation. This success comes at the cost of their spouse feeling unable to keep up with the intelligence, thought and depth of study.

In short: pursue what personality you wish, but maintaining scrutiny in a relationship will never help it advance. EDIT: I realize scrutiny might be a stretch from analysis, but doubt may be more accurate. I see nothing in this post that resembles trust, just doubt in their compatibility with you.

Nevertheless, there are always exceptions. Alcoholic consumption, drug abuse, promiscuity, smoking, etc. are all important considerations. To each their own and I wish you the best in your decision. Perhaps now would be a good time to exercise your talent for analysis. Is alcohol a lifestyle you promote? Can you accept it when sharing a life with someone else? There is no wrong answer; there is only honesty.

Like with most dilemmas, there is no absolute answer here, either. There is an exceptionally fine line between pickiness and indifference. The former is obnoxious, the latter is unfortunate.

I'll try to keep this next statement as brief as possible to conclude my answer. There will always be annoying traits and behavior in someone (leaving a mess in the kitchen, not the perfect teeth, an undesirable characteristic or family, etc.) and unless it is a dependent factor that changes your relationship in a fashion you dislike you should keep trying. The "dependent" factor changes from person-to-person, too. Family is generally an independent factor, just as careers and hobbies are. Dependent factors are things which require another individual to complete: children, a house together, shared finances, caretaker for kids, etc.

#3 emkorora, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013