1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About interacting with others in general - two questions

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Tightrope, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey ...

So, we interact with people, and find that we either get along with people famously, it's fairly neutral, or it's difficult.

I used to let more stuff slide, but I've found that I don't as much and that, if someone makes a major trespass of boundaries, I will let them know it quite emphatically and loudly. I also don't deal well with guilt trips and, while most of my real friends haven't put one on me, a few have. Those people are no longer friends.

Questions:
    1. Do you think it's ok to fight fire with fire, verbally?
    2. Do you think it's ok to go off on someone who likes to play guilt trips?

2. emkorora

emkorora Guest

1) No. The ends never justify the means. People make mistakes, yes, and lash out with a fiery tongue. But to that end, the person who returns fire is fully aware. After all, if the world subscribes to the ancient, silly legal theory of "an eye for an eye, an arm for an arm," then the world would go blind (Mahatma Ghandi).

2) No. I do not promote this sort of aggression in anyone, football player or fashion designer. Pacificity and patience are important qualities. On the other hand, knowing when to react is important, too. Like with everything in life, there is no black and white. But on the note of arguing with others, I'll end with this quote and let you apply it as you wish to your life. "Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools speak because they need to say something."

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You've attached new quotes I've not heard before.

As for the 1st, I've found that, in a couple of cases, acting causes people to stop their transgressions. I was called on it by some and, by those who knew the personalities, was lauded by others.

As for the 2nd, blowing up didn't do any good. They didn't get it. Someone who puts you through guilt trips is not a friend. They are controlling. I chose to end the friendships.

4. Minx

Well it has been said that I have great patience but a low tolerance for bullshit. :lol:

1. While I usually enjoy remaining silent, letting the transgressor make an idiot of themselves, sometimes you have to snap back. Some people think highly of themselves if no one responds to their loud opinions - as if the silence justifies their behavior.

2. I don't think it's okay to go off on people who employ guilt trips. It gives them an excuse to try and guilt more from others. Cold detachment is what I deploy to handle those awful cases.

=^-^=