1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have fallen for one of my best friends... hard.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Kael, Nov 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kael

Hey guys... I'm going to apologise in advance about any typos. As I've mentioned before, I'm on my phone. Which is probably also good for you, 'cause then the story won't be so long.

Anyways... Let us begin.

Well... I better tell you a bit about him. I met him (sort of) at the beginning of Year 9 last year. I didn't have many friends back then, and I after a few weeks of him being in my maths class, decided he was just another one of those dope smoking surfer dudes I'd eventually come to hate.

I didn't like him for all of last year. He was loud,u rude and just plain... mean.

But all that changed at the start if year 10. We shared a large amount of our classes together: English, Science, Maths, Careers and PDHPE. I decided I'd try and make friends with him. I'm so glad I did.
    We quickly became the best of friends after chatting at great length about our subjects and stuff. I quickly added him on Facebook, and he did the same with me. We became even closer when we discovered our passion for books such as 'The Inheritance Cycle'.

My suspicions all started when he asked me "I can trust you with anything, right?" I quickly replied "Of course you can!" He told me about a major problem that had been affecting his life really badly. I won't mention it on here for tye sake of his privacy. Anyways, I was the ONLY one he told. He said he trusted me the most out of anyone and I was one of the best friends he had ever had. From then on, we've told each other our problems and hekped each other get through them. Over time, he started telling me loved me on Facebook. Y'know, in the abbreviated form of 'ILY'? He also sent me lots and lots and lots of love hearts. When I was down, he told me 'ILY man'. When I was happy, he told me the same. Once... I was really depressed, and he actually said to me (via facebook) 'I love you man. Don't forget that.'
    About a month later, I said 'I'll always be here for you, don't you ever forget it. :3' He replied 'ily and don't you ever forget that.' Essentially the same thing.
    I'd do things for him, like his maths homework and stuff, and he'd make me feel better.
    Once, I gave him twenty dollars that he needed for an excursion, and he hugged me and said 'You mean the world to me, y'know?' Since he is taller than me, and I'm just above average hieght, I just hummed into his chest in agreement... or whatever.

One day, about three months ago, all the love hearts and 'ily' stuff stopped. We still talk heaps and are really close and stuff... just that stuff stopped. For some unknown reason.

But anyways... I catch him just loking at me a lot. And when I turn to look at him, he either turns his head, or we just keeo eye contact for a while. If the latter happens, we end up smiling at each other and going back to our work, chatting about random things. I only get to see him at school, which is a bit of a drag.
    He always sits next to me in the classes we share, and his leg usually touches mine or he rests his foot on top of mine. Often, he sits perpendicular to me, so his knees are facing my thighs. They usually press into my leg and he just leaves them there. I usually brush it off, thinking it's just a side effect of being tall.

He is also really into clothes. And fashion. He has all these gay tendencies, like hugging guys and telling me it's cute that camellias are my favourite flowers. He's always looking at me. We're always having fun.

The other day in English, we were assigned a big group task. We always work together on anything, so we were in a big group with about four other friends. All of a sudden, he turns quietly to me and say 'Do ya wanna ditch these four and just work on something by together? Knowing you, you'll come up with something amazing.' Me being me, I agreed. So we've decided to work on this English thing together, which makes me really happy.
    He also gets quite jealous when I start talking to other people or helping other people out. He makes me feel so special and wanted...

So... What I'm trying to say is... I'm really confused to whether he is gay or not. I am madly in love with him, and could spend the rest of my life with him. I've considered coming out to him a few times, but I'm afraid it would ruin this great friendship I have with him. He said we would always be friends, no matter what. But I'm afraid that will change if I tell him I'm Bi.

I don't know what to do! I'm so unsure of him and myself! The only thing I am sure of, is how much I love him. Please... I just want some advice.

Kael~

2. dapulu

Well I guess you're his best friend too, reading from all that. Although you said a lot, I think I'm missing something.

Do you guys talk about girls? You know, the kind of talk that guys do: "she's so hot" "I'd do her" and all that.
    Do you know if he is or has been in a relationship before? A girl or a guy?
    Have you spoken about your sexuality before?
    Do you still send the ":3 I'll be always there for you"?

There's some people I've known that have A LOT of gay signs and then they're straight, but there's also some people I've known that don't give the slightest hint.

If you haven't talked like at all on those subjects I recommend to start talking about it. Maybe then you'll know if he's straight or not.

Have a nice day :wink:

3. Kael

Hey, Dapulu.

I'l answer your questions straight up.

Sometimes we talk about girls, and he says they're hot or he'd do them (in his own words of course). Bit he has never been in a relationship with one before. I know he's had sex, but that was when he was drunk. :/
    And no, I haven't talked to him about my sexuality yet... I don't want to in fear of losing him.
    When he isn't feeling the best, I always tell him "I'll always be here for you. If you ever need any help, feel free to ask me. Anytime." He usually replies with "I know! :slight_smile:" or "Thankyou so much. For everything."

I'm just... confused. I... Sometimes it gets me really down... And I get so close to telling him. Like, he knows I like someone, and in our conversation I never specified whether it was a 'him' or a 'her'. But he hasn't picked up on that.

He just means so much to me, and I don't know where I would be whithout him.

Anyways... I should stop blabbing on about nothing. I gotta go now. I'm going shopping for games and shit. I'll be back later.

See you guys! And thanks Dapulu! :3

Kael~

4. Kael

I just thought I might update a bit on what's going on.

Our friendship's going alright, but I keep getting the feeling I should distance myself from him or something. I could never do that though. He means too much to me...

I just don't know what to do.

My mother's being a complete and utter b****. It really gets me down. I'll probably talk to him about it tomorrow at school. It's the only time I get to see him face-to-face and he always makes me feel so much better. This afternoon, I just laid on my floor, thinking whether I should tell him I'm Bi. I am seriously considering it, but I am really afraid of what it might do to our friendship.

Anyways... That's my little update.

I hope to hear from you guys soon.

Kael~

5. Mzansi

Well from what I've read I couldn't tell you if he was gay or not,
    But I can tell he does have feelings for you,
    Whether they're platonic and just very loving towards you,
    Or if there is a romantic edge to them is something you're going to have to find out!

But in my experience(And I've had a few situations like these),
    Such signs of affection and affirmation kind of transcend what is considered usual,
    As not only is he verbally affirming you,
    He is also trying to make physical contact with your body,
    In ways that are seen as culturally VERY intimate and close,
    And usually reserved for those expressing sexual desires beyond that of just a usual friendship!

The jealousy part can be taken two ways,
    Both ways point to him caring for you,
    But one is that he is jealous he may 'lose' you in the sense of you being so helpful,
    And the other is a more romantic style where he wants to have such 'help' reserved for himself as a way to feel special.

Have you come out to anyone?
    If not,
    And if you trust him,
    You could maybe tell him you're Bi(Without mentioning your feeling as to him),
    Thus facilitating the chance that he may come out in return!

But before you get into that shenanigans,
    You have to make a decision wherein you accept the risk you may loose your friendship,
    Or make it awkward by A) Coming out and B) Expressing your feelings for him,
    The reward will be fantastic if you both harbor the same feelings,
    But it may be hurtful if you find he is either not WILLING to act on his urges for you,
    Or he has none at all!

I personally have a vibe(From what you've said, which may be biased),
    That you and him share something a little more innate and physical,
    Than a 'normal' friendship!

Oh and to add,
    Maybe gauge how he feels regarding Bi and Gay people before you come out?
    Bring it up nonchalantly and all,
    Then based on those reactions I'd say you could decide whether to come out to him or not!

P.S Don't distance yourself from him,
    That hurts both you and him,
    Treasure what you have even if it may not go fully the way you'd want it too,
    Either way,
    What you have with him is special and I'm envious :slight_smile:

6. Kael

Hey, Mzansi. Typing in the dark is quite hard, so I apologise for any typos.

Thank you so much for the advice/explanation! You cleared up a few things for me, and I'll answer your questions now.

I have come out to one person, and I'm slowly leaning towards telling him. I don't want to tell him about my feelings towards him yet, but maybe later after I tell him I'm Bi. I want to see his reaction to me not being straight first.

Personally, I am sure he will be fine with it. He has nothing against people of different sexualities and is fine with it when brought up in conversation.

Anyways... I doubt(unfortunately) that he is gay, or at least bi. I don't know why, and I guess I'll never know until I find out. But do you really think we have more than a... 'normal' friendship...? I've never really thought of it that way... but it would be nice. :3

And don't worry; I've tried to separate myself from him before. I only lasted for about an hour or two before I started to talk to him again. :3 I apologised and everything, and he said it was fine, but to tell him if anything was wrong. Like... whenever.
    I'm so grateful to have him as a friend. So I won't ever try it again.

Anyways... Yeah. Thanks again Mzansi! :grin: You helped me quite a bit.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Kael~

7. Mzansi

Hey hey!
    I'm glad to hear I was of some help,
    Always nice to know you're not completely redundant!

Well I do think your friendship is a little more affectionate and physical,
    Or more so than I would've thought two 'platonic' friends would have been comfortable with,
    Or wanting of!

In the end you're right,
    You're only going to find out by asking him and seeing what he says!
    You may yet be VERY surprised as truly,
    There is no "sign" someone is gay,
    Or not one that can be used as a benchmark from which to judge sexuality!

I only hope the best for you and your friend :slight_smile:
    And if you ever have anything more to ask,
    Feel more than welcome to contact me.

8. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Kael,
    You're really, really lucky to have such an amazing friend. You two are definitely close enough for you to bring at least some of this stuff up in conversation / general interactions. Have you considered that maybe he stopped saying ily when you mentioned that you liked someone? He may be assuming it's a girl.... either way he seems to really care about you, and I'm pretty sure he'll still be friends with you even if he doesn't feel the same way. If you tell him, you can always ask him first and tell him that you want to be friends no matter what.

If he's doing things like touching you with his leg, hugging you a lot, smiling at you, being close in general, it seems he either has sexual feelings for you or REALLY cares about you as a friend (or both), neither of these two things are bad outcomes. If you want to, you can definitely talk to him about how you're feeling.

9. Kael

I did it guys.

A few nights ago... I came out to him. I told him I'm Bi.
    And it all went perfectly fine!!! :3

He said he was fine with it, and accepted it straight away '"cause he cares about me." I feel so much better now that I've told him.

Now... I just gotta address the other problem of loving him...

At least he knows now!! :3 And I'm so happy with his response.

Anyways... he's been using my name over the internet a lot more. Instead of dude or man, it's my name. I just thought I should mention it. And lots of winky faces too... :wink:

ANYWAYS!!! I'm feeling a lot better now. I hope all you guys are doing good! :3

See ya! Hope to hear from you soon!

Kael~

10. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations!
    That's really great to hear! :grin:
    You're so lucky to have such an amazing friend
    Keep us posted :slight_smile:

11. Kael

I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on anything that happens! :3

Thanks, WhiteShadows!! How are you? I hope you're doing okay on your end. Send me a message or something if you ever want any help. I'll try my best! :3

Anyways... Tomorrow will be the first time I have seen him in a week, because we've both been away with school and stuff. I miss him, so I'm pretty excited about tomorrow! :3

I'll be sure to keep you all updated as much as possible.

See ya.

Kael~

12. Kael

So... Today I saw him for the first time in a while.

He looked absolutely terrible. Like... tired.

We walked into Maths and sat down. He said "Hey" and the usual morning greetings and stuff. I taught him how to do logarithms and stuff, but he was a bit grumpy because he was sick. The sad thing was, he left after second period (PDHPE) because it turned out he had a fever. I really hope he gets better soon.

It's good to know he doesn't really treat me any differently than before. :grin:
    But he is A LOT more caring now. At least that's what I've noticed. Like, tonight while I was talking to him over Facebook, I said I was going to die this weekend because of work. His reply was "Aw no don't do that!" Like... I don't know how to explain it.

It just seems, in my opinion, he has become a bit more attached to me ever since I told him. I dunno... It could just be wishful thinking.

Anyways... I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on things.

See ya 'round. :slight_smile:

Kael~

13. Arrundo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I skipped a lot of the reading. I just thought I'd say what I thought in general, which is this: I had a friend like what you are describing. Spent years together. One of is was always at the others house staying over or crap like that. He was my life and I fell in love with him. I told him I was gay and everything went down hill. Never knew he was homophobic till I told him and he ripped me apart. Removed me from all social cites and won't speak when he sees me. Why am I telling you this? Because it uprooted my life and destroyed everything I cared about. I don't want anyone to suffer that way. If you care about your friendship at all, don't pursue him. You'll find someone down the road in life, but if you try to hook him as your best friend, a LOT of grief could follow. Ultimately the choice is yours though...

Just remember what is MOST IMPORTANT to you. That's what you go on. Personally I'd never have done what I did if I knew what he thought. Maybe you're different though. Good luck mate! :slight_smile::icon_sad:

14. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are ways to find out if a person is homophobic before telling them you're gay. I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you , Arrundo :frowning2:

15. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds interesting, but I'm slightly concerned about this part:

Avoid trying to do lots of favors (especially doing other people's homework or often giving money) in the hopes of getting affection. That can be a slippery slope, especially with his small jealousy when you talk to others; though, that sounds more like he has some insecurities.

That said, maybe he is changing for the better, and his response to you coming out is promising. It's always helpful to come out first and then share your feelings later so they don't come as a big surprise.

16. Kael

Hey, guys. Last night was absolutely horrible. I ALMOST cried myself to sleep. Almost.

He and I had a... discussion last night that got me down a lot. To put it bluntly; he was telling me I should tell him everything, instead of stopping at the last second. I said it was a natural thing for me to do; I couldn't help it. I told him I didn't want to make any mistakes with any of my friends, because I was scared of losing them. Especially him.

"I know how you feel. But you need to stop because that feeling is fucking horrible. And to be honest, by doing it you actually push me further away."

That was the reply I got. I was absolutely torn. Tattered shreds stomped into the ground.

I felt so bad. I was pushing him away in the first place? How?

Anyways... Last night wasn't the best... I patched it up in the end, though.

Today... he was a bit distant. Like... it was sort of an effort to talk to me? He was just acting a bit differently after last night happened.

I'm hoping when I see him in person it'll clear things up. I haven't seen him in ages.

I'm alright now though. We have been talking "normally" for today. (The slight change in his mannerisms is the exception.) I'm just hoping there is a legitimate reason for it.

I'm scared guys. I really don't want to lose him. But it seems like our friendship is just... slowly slipping off the edge... I don't want it to end...

I'm going to try and strengthen it back up over the last week of school... But I'll have to tread carefully.

I think he has caught on to me liking him though. I think he had his suspicions before, but now he is a little more sure. I think that could be a main factor...

I just wish I knew...

Anyways, I hope you guys are doing alright.

See you...

Kael~

17. blueskies

blueskies Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm of no help at all but I just read through your thread and I went from "yay this is really cute" to ":/". I don't know how to help you but I really hope things will work out for you. I mean, I don't know if he feels something for you but I do know he likes you as a friend and I hope you can go back to being friends (at least). My advice would be to just act like you normally would around him and see how he reacts the next time you see him.

18. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, be yourself first and foremost. Don't bend over backwards just to keep a friendship from failing. I read somewhere that friendships that are older than 7 years will last a lifetime. Well, that also means that it takes a long time to develop a solid friendship, so you shouldn't feel bad if this friendship falls through.

19. Kael

Hey guys...

I want to thank you all so far for sticking with me and giving me advice on this. You guys really help me out a lot! :3

Anyways... Everything is a lot better now. We had a big talk on Facebook last night and stuff's all sorted. To put it simply, everything is as it was before Saturday night. He wasn't at school yesterday, so today is the first time I have seen him for quite a while.

I'll still be a bit cautious though. Just to make sure.

@blueskies: You aren't of no help! Everyone that's posted on here has helped me immensely, and I appreciate it so much.

@resu: Thanks for the advice! I've only given him money once; which was that time for the excursion. And I only did his maths homework a few times too. Just to lighten his load.

Anyways, I thank you all again for the great tips and pointers you are all giving me! I hope all of you are alright!! :grin:

Today, in double Science, our class is going down to the harbour and just hanging around there for a while and getting hot chips and stuff like that. Yay!! So I'll talk to him then.

I'll be sure to keep you guys updated!!

See you!

Kael~

20. Rainbow Music

hey your situation sounds tough Kael. I really don't have any advice, except just to keep on talking to him. I hope everything works out the way you want it too. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.