1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I email a pastor about his opinion?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Dakine, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Dakine

Out Status:
    A few people
    So at church today the pastor brought up his views on same sex stuff. I'm relatively new to this church so no one even knows who I am. I'm interested in discussing this topic further with him but I'm also not really out of the closet...6 ppl know I'm bi and that's kind of how I want to keep it right now. I grew up in a religion that basically told me fags were going to hell unless they repented from their evil ways. That was a long struggle for me. It's only been recently that I've educated myself on the topic and have come to the conclusion that God loves me and it is a bad misinterpretation of his word.

I would really like to see why this pastor would bring up this topic on the platform. Does he know what he's talking about? Why does he have this opinion etc?

As I side note I love the statement "I have nothing against these ppl but.....".... To me that is such a pussy cop out. Be a man/woman and say what u really mean.

2. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could ask him, but usually deeply religious people, especially pastors, are extremely hard to reason with and won't really budge on their feelings and outlooks on different subjects(even when they know nothing about them personally and just go by what they think the Bible says). He could potentially try to make you feel bad, guilty, and wrong for being gay/bisexual if that is something he is against. What about trying to find an LGBT affirming church in your area that isn't as ignorant? They do exist out there.

3. Dakine

Out Status:
    A few people
    I know they exist but I think it would be cool to make someone think about their reasons for believing something

4. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well then I guess if you're prepared to argue with him if he's resistant to other views, then by all means e-mail him.

5. Silver Sparrow

What exactly did the pastor say?

6. Dakine

Out Status:
    A few people
    He did the old "I have nothing against those ppl but I have the right to say I don't agree" routine

---------- Post added 24th Nov 2013 at 02:47 PM ----------

I really just want to say "as someone who struggled for several years and gave up for several years because of outlooks like yours, I'd really like to hear how you came to that conclusion"

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The pastor is a jerk. Sounds like Ann Romney: "these people." He sounds like he's above the fray.

Do you go to this church because it's the most convenient? Can you go to another one in the area? Is it minivan central?

I think that pastors in the suburbs, with a heavy-duty 'married with kids' congregation, feel somewhat safe when they make these comments. Even the suburbs have people who attend church but don't discuss their sexual orientation, so it's inevitable that they've offended someone. You won't change how they feel, especially if already up on a pulpit. The pastor won't change how you feel. It's lose-lose. I'd go to another church or just not go. I've gone the route of just not going. However, if you feel a desire to be churched, then you should be.

8. Dakine

Out Status:
    A few people
    See here is the thing...I don't want to take it out on God...hell, I've got "God" tattooed on me....I love God. I also think this church spreads a great message....until this little 15 second miscue.... Idk....I don't want to ruffle feathers cause in all honesty I am not offended...my life has been all about telling me I'm horrible and going to hell...I get it...I just want to see how he came to his conclusion.

9. Dakine

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's too late. I emailed him. All I can ask is if u can give me help. I have Matthew vines.....what else??

10. Skov