1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relationship vs. Family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by thelaststand, Nov 24, 2013.

1. thelaststand

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am young, young enough that I have to wait a little over two years until I am of the legal age in America. I am in a relationship with a girl that is three years older than I am. And reasonably, my parents very much do not like this relationship. We both went to the same high school, and she was a senior when I was a freshman. Our relationship at first was very awkward and forced. But since then I have fallen so in love with her I can't imagine my life without her. She graduated and is now in college and we are doing well in a long distance relationship. I understand that I am young and naive but I know that I can trust her. We have helped each other overcome a lot of issues that we have struggled with. My girlfriend, however is very hot headed and does not think actions through. Recently something happened in my high school that was very controversial. I told her about it, and while I hold myself responsible for not checking my facts and spreading rumors, she made a post about it on a social media website and named me as her supplier of information in the comments. Naturally, my school (her alma mater) saw the post. Since they could not do anything to her because she is in college, they suspended me for spreading false information. Initially, I was furious and so hurt that she wouldn't think her actions through and that I was suffering from the consequences of it. Still, I do not trust her with a lot of information. But I am still in a relationship with her and I still love her very much. However, my parents feel very differently about her. They did like her before it all blew up but now they cannot even fathom the thought of her. She is coming home for the first time in fourth months and I have not seen her since August. I have to muster up the courage to ask my parents if I can hang out with her, but due to my awful anxiety I will physically convulse at the idea of asking them. I want to see her more than anything but I do not want to sneak around and lie to my parents. I am so scared that my parents will ban me from seeing her and ground me for it. I know it sounds ridiculous but I don't know what to do. I need someone's guidance.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So your parents are going to ban you from seeing her because neither of you bothered to check your facts? Or does that fact that with you being under the legal age by some way making your relationship a crime not factor in at all?

It's not often that I side with parents, but you're young and apparently she is irresponsible which isn't usually a good combination. Not saying you're a bad couple but you can see why they wouldn't like it. I'd tell them, but don't expect the answer you want from them.