1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Date trap - how would you handle this?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Tightrope, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is about dating. The parties (M/F, F/F, M/M) don't matter.

There is a person who likes you. You have done nothing to reciprocate this interest, but you are cordial. They then toss out "What are you doing on (specific date 3 months in the future)?" You fumble, as in I don't know, and then hear "Good, I've got tickets to this event." (very, very cheap function and not a concert). This person once even called a sibling's place of work they didn't even know looking for me. Why, I don't know? It didn't make sense. Ugh.

I didn't like this. I thought it was devious. I sent back the ticket 2 weeks prior to the event, together with a note that a friend from far away was coming to town and I had to show him around. I never heard from this person again. I think it was a little rude, and possibly even cowardly, but I wouldn't entrap someone to going out or associating with me.

Have you had this happen? What would you do if this had happened to you? What do you think was, or is, the correct thing to do?

2. stumble along

No I would hear alarm bells going off once they called your sibling that they don't even know
    That's slightly too creepy

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    yes that sounds very strange.
    I would have returned the tickets too

4. Necrose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you did the right thing. Calling your sibling they didn't know looking for you was stalkerish.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, I don't feel so bad. I didn't want to be asked in the first place and I hated to weasel my way out, but I saw no point in confronting or hurting feelings. My sibling was sort of irritated and amused, more so than mad, but found it weird.

6. flymetothemoon

Yeah, I think I would have done the same thing. It's not like you said you were interested and then decided to back out, they totally trapped you. It's almost like they knew you would say no, but they thought if they could trap you into a date then you would feel bad not saying yes to a second one and so on. I think you did the right thing, no need to feel bad about it.

7. Silver Sparrow

Yeah, I think you did the right thing.