1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pretty shure I'm lesbian but I have a boyfriend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by sandshoes, Nov 25, 2013.

1. sandshoes

I've considered myself bisexual for a couple of years now, but lately I find men less and less attractive. The thing is that I have a boyfriend and we have been together for almost two years. Our sex life was good at first but is has been going downhill and is now pretty much non-existing at the moment due to my lack of lust. I've been thinking that the reason is because of the fact that I've been feeling shit for a couple of years, been put on wrong medication for a while and etc, but I'm starting to think that the real reason is that I am actually lesbian. I love my boyfriend though, and I really care about him and even just thinking about breaking his heart makes me want to cry my eyes out because he is really insecure when it comes to relationships, but I don't think our relationship is going to work out.

I know what I have to do, but I just can't bring myself to unleash this bomb. He is really scared of loosing me and this is the worst thing I'll ever faced so far in my life. I feel like a total shit.

Are there anyone else with somewhat the same experience out there who can give me any advice on thé situation? Or just give me your story of how it worked out for you?

2. frostedflakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sandshoes,
    I don't think there are any options out of this situation. There a few things you can do. Be honest with him and tell him yourself, write a letter, or send an email to him stating how you feel. It is more appropriate that you tell him in person.

3. andybirdy1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've gone through the same thing. Since I was a freshmen in high school, I'd been very confused about my sexuality. Guys just weren't appealing and I found myself crushing on girls in my class. It got more confusing when I started dating my now ex. We dated for about seven months before I realized I really just wanted a girlfriend, that I just wasn't sexually attracted to him, despite the fact that we started out having a good sex life.

I decided to ignore this, however, and continued to date him until right after 1 year. It continued to bother me, though, and it was really eating me up. I decided it wasn't fair to him or me that we continued to date so I ended it. It wasn't easy, though, I really did have feelings for him. There were other reasons I broke up with him, as he was a very selfish partner, but my sexuality played the biggest part. It was confusing for me to have an emotional connection with a male, but to identify myself as a lesbian.

It really just comes down to what you feel comfortable with. If you truly love him and the feelings are reciprocated, you may try discussing this with him before deciding to end it. I can't promise the outcome will be good - he very well may decide that he's not okay with a lesbian-identified girlfriend. But I would try to explain it to him the best you can and stress that it's not something you can really help. Let him know you still love him dearly, but for some reason the sexual aspect just isn't there. Be prepared for a negative reaction, but I think it's only fair that you give him a fair chance to see how he feels about it before just ending it. If it doesn't work out, though it may be painful, it's best that you both are on the same page and that he has an opportunity to work things out with you. Someone who really loves you might be willing to try:slight_smile:

4. Drago2012

Wow, what you wrote, almost word for word (the only exception is that I never went on meds) is what happened to my ex girl and I. We were together for 3 years and I always thought of myself as bisexual, but little by little girls seemed less and less attractive. Just like you, our sex life was great at first, but deteriorated as time went on, eventually reaching a point where we had sex once in months. And also just like you I loved her very, very much and it broke my heart to even thought of breaking up, but eventually we both talked about it and came to the conclusion that I was gay and that us being together was detrimental for both of us.
    Now we are still good friends, we still talk to one another and I'm superbly happy about our decision. I came out as gay to everyone in my life shortly after and had the best sex of my life a month later. Like dominoes it all fell in place.
    I hope you can have as much courage as I did to talk to your boyfriend about the whole deal and can arrive to a solution that is beneficial for the both of you.
    Best wishes!:thumbsup:

5. sandshoes

Thank you for your replies! Nice to know I'm not alone.

I told him that I thought I'm probably a lesbian and first reaction was denial. "How do you know when you never been with a girl?" etc. Then he was talking about all the reasons he could think of why we shouldn't break up. We are still a couple, and I don't think I'm ready to end this yet because his worst nightmare is someone he loves leaving him. When I told him it was more in a "just wanted to tell you what's been going around in my head lately" sort of way just to put the thought in his head so he have somw time to think about it.

6. JGirl6891

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Wow. This is what I'm so scared of! I have not been in a similar situation, but there's this one guy that I do care for and that I have told him many of times that I prefer women and the older I get, the more I want to be with women. Even telling him all that, he still manages to stick around and I can't seem to cut him loose. On top of that, he's grown on me . . . he wants to be with me. But I'm at the point in my life where I'm finally accepting myself as a lesbian finally because I've always felt that I was one since I was little.

Ugh I don't know what to do either? I keep avoiding him bringing up that question to me . . about him wanting to be serious with me. Because in the back of my mind, I know that I'll never be happy with him. I LOVE women and I want to be with women . . . and he's just that one guy I have feelings for and it's driving me nuts!

Distinguishing between what kind of feelings I have for him, is the hardest part. Because I identify myself as Les, but on the other hand I'd be heartbroken to let him go and let another woman have him! Maybe it's the selfish part of me . . that is not willing to let go and I have to. Like people have commented on here, it's best for the both of us.

Hope in time you can settle this with your boyfriend . . so you can move on with your life. I also hope in time, I can get pass this as well . . . best of luck to both of us haha ugh.

7. sandshoes

Oh, I would not wish for anyone to be in this kind of situation because it sucks big time. Thanks, hope it works out for you!