1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Irrational fear of gay son?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Sal, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Sal

Sal Guest

So I have this little cousin who's 6 years old, and everyone's worried he's going to be gay when he's older.

This topic has been troublesome and cost my mother her job, she used to be their nanny.
    The kid has always had an obsession with long hair and would go to any stranger that had long hair. His favorite activity used to be to brush my hair. He had long hair and would ask my mother to put bows in it; which she did, he was just a kid and she didn't really think nothing of it. His parents weren't happy with this and my mom got I trouble.

He'd also steal my mother's shoes and try to walk around in them, I thought this was adorable so I let him do as he pleased. Apparently that was wrong, as I over heard our parents arguing about it later. I spent a lot of time with my cousin, more so than with my own brother. When he started walking he'd go in my room in the mornings and crawl into bed with me. I'd wake up with this happy, giggling, toddler laying on my chest. I miss those times.

U still had old dolls that my relatives have forced onto me throughout the years. I kept them in a box under my bed. One day I come and he had found them. When I tried to take them away he'd cry so I just let him play with them. When his parents came to get him they immediately took the dolls away and he went wild. I felt so bad for the kid.

We found a substitute for the dolls. Music. He'd gotten ahold of my iPod and got it to start. I'd never seen him so mesmerized. I showed him how to work it and the kid was in love. Now he'd come into my room to dance with me and listen to music. His parents didn't mind this. He especially loved the music videos and would try to mimic them. We'd spend hours just dancing around. This kid was pretty much my only playmate till I started high school.

For five years it was just the kid and I. I spent more time with him than his parents or my mother ever did. He was, in every way but blood, my little brother. So what if he was a little girly or had good taste in music. Who cared if he'd rather stay indoors and watch Barbie and my little ponys, he was perfect. But one day came home from school and mother looked very agitated. She told me to take the kid into my room and play with him there. I did, but minutes later we heard shouting. The kids parents had come to take the kid. That was the last time I saw him for awhile.

Now a year later, our parents have settled their differences. I got to see the kid again. His hair was cut really short and he looked too timid. He would shy away from everyone. It was a complete 180 from his old personality. The parents asked him to show me his room so that they could talk. There wasn't a stuffed animal in site, just various trucks and video games. They all looked un-played with though. He turned on his tv and we started watching Buffy. He started to liven up a bit and began jumping around doing "karate". I laughed and asked him what he was doing. He told me he was being Buffy. I asked him why Buffy? Why not angle or spike? His response, they weren't pretty.

After that, the next time I saw him was around christmas. Both he and his parents looked unhappy. My mother and I asked him what he wanted Santa to bring him and he told us he wanted a Barbie. Mother asked if he'd like an action figure instead, but he was adamant that he wanted a Barbie. To my surprise someone did get him one and his parents let him keep it. It was an Edward doll from his favorite movie, twilight. I was introduce to Edward and invited to go vampire slaying with them. Edward, the kid, and I slayed vampires all day long.

He hasn't changed to much over the year long absence. He has a 7 month old little brother now and they're both in day care. I still miss him terribly. We're not as close as we used to be and that saddens me. This entire thing all started because his homophobic parents don't want him to be gay. I thought it was ridiculous. There's no way you can tell that young, can you?

2. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    He doesn't seem gay to me...
    It's possible he might be transgender, but he's not saying he himself is a girl.
    Still, to not let a kid pursue his interests, just because they don't want him to be gay?
    Pretty ironic, considering the original definition.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The best part is that by FORCING him to give up the things he likes and trying to make him to things he hates, is by the time he reaches his rebellious teenage phase he's going to be WILD. Either way I hope he's OK...

4. Sal

Sal Guest

I don't care if he's trans, gay, bi, straight, whatever when he's older. I just worry that his parents attempts at correcting him will cause irreversible damage. He used to be such an outgoing, friendly kid, but now he rarely plays with anyone, Just stays up in his room.

5. Silver Sparrow

That's horrible, and it definitely sounds like the kid is struggling. Just be a safe space/person for him. Keep us updated!

6. danball7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think it is possible to tell sexuality at his age. According to my step-sister, she was pretty sure I was gay when she met me when I was four. Admittedly, I may have given myself away by cutting photos of attractive men out of magazines and sticking them on my wall (yes this was ages 4-8) but she could tell just by me being me. That's fairly irrelevant though. His parents are being horribly controlling to him, and this is not a healthy way for him to grow up. My aunt bought me a doll from Italy just because she thought I might like it. I think it's up to you to be that same person, to be his safe harbour where all that he is, is accepted and loved. Btw, I did karate with Buffy too, but I never said she was pretty, I was too interested in David Boreanaz :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: he may well just a straight guy who likes music, dolls and fashion. Contrary to popular opinion, those guys do exist.

7. Sal

Sal Guest

Heck, I'd buy him every doll he wanted, if I knew it'd be safe. The problem is that I'm not his parent or sibling. His parents took him away once, what's to stop them from doing it again? I'm a minor and still closeted to a lot of my family members. Last thing he and I need is for his parents to accuse me of spreading the gay and take him away again.

For now, I plan on quietly watching over him till he's old enough to even think about these things, and making sure he knows that I've got his back no matter what.

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe you could suggest him doing theater or other creative thing.

9. noahb1996

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's a horrible situation for you and him to be in. For now, just show him all the love and support you can, and when he gets old enough to make decisions and think for himself, then you can discuss it with him.

10. MyChemRomance

This could cause severe social issues. He could grow to be a damaged kid if his parent keep at it.

11. Saint Otaku

His childhood sounds eerily like mine.

I dunno, if he is gay, he'll probably and hopefully find an outlet for expression. Not surprisingly, mine was drama. With such an oppressive air, he needs an outlet. But it really is quite uncanny how he's been brought up: the dolls, the crossdressing, the extremely repressive and shy change in personality.

I mean, these could all be nondefinitive hints as to his identity, being in some way feminine, but there's really no way to tell for sure. Then again, look how I turned out...

12. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've known straight guys who as kids played with barbies, put bows in their hair and even wore dresses, and they are 100% straight as a pole. If he is gay, that's fine, if he's not, that's fine too. His parents are being totally irrational about it, but there's really not much you can do until he's old enough to make his own decisions in life, unless you can factually prove abuse or something was taking place. What I would do is be there for him as an outlet if he needs to talk about things with you, and to love and support him until he gets old enough to where he can make his own decisions, and you can help him with those. But as St. Otaku said it would be great if he could find an outlet that made him feel happy. Mine as a child happened to be sports, and now as I've matured, music is another outlet of mine.

Hope this helped. (*hug*)