1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating Dilemma

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by confused1234, Nov 28, 2013.

1. confused1234

So about a month ago, I decided to try my luck on one of the popular but sleazy hook-up apps that shall be left unnamed. As it turns out, I've had a lot of luck. I met a guy that went to the same university I just graduated from. We discovered we had a few mutual friends, but more importantly we had a lot in common and seemed to click pretty instantly. I asked him on a date, and he eagerly agreed.

Five dates and a month later, I've grown weary of our relationship. I like the guy, I really do. And I am physically attracted to him. So what’s the issue? First of all, he is over-the-top clingy. There were signs from the onset that he was, but I chose to ignore them because I was so excited to finally be seeing a guy. He sends me a text at least every 20 minutes during waking hours. He also drinks pretty heavily. That alone doesn't bother me, but when he does get drunk, the texting gets significantly worse. I find myself getting annoyed by him, which I know is a bad sign. I've also realized that we don’t have as much in common as I originally thought.

The problem with all of this is that I think I've led him on. He asked a few weeks ago if we were dating. Seeing as how we had been on three or four dates at that point, I said yes. But I didn't mean to imply that we were in a relationship, just that since we had been on dates, we were technically “dating”. But I think he took that to mean that we were in a relationship or headed for a relationship. We've also had sex several times if that makes a difference. Honestly, I think he might be in love with me. At the very least, his feelings for me are much stronger than mine are for him.

To complicate things, I've met another guy that I really like and would like to take out.

Bottom line, I like this guy, but not as much as he likes me I think. I would like to stay friends with him, and maybe even continue hooking up if nothing pans out with the other guy, but I don’t want a relationship with him at the moment. Uhh, I just feel stuck. Any advice? How do I let him down easy, but still express an interest in continuing things if it doesn't work out with the other guy?

Thanks!